Thread: New to here and struggling

New to here and struggling

Hi guys,

So this is my first post. A little about myself. I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for about 4 years now. I'm 25. I don't have anything in particular that causes it although I've always been an anxious person and negative thinker and it's gradually got worse.

I haven't really been in therapy much, and have been on about 4 different medications with none of them really working. I'm currently on Venlafaxine but everytime i try to slowly wean off it, my depression and anxiety gets worse.

I guess my question is will i ever get better? I feel like I've had this so long now, that it's ingrained in my brain and I'll never know any different. All parts of my life are affected and it's ruining everything. I just want to be back to normative. Is recovery possible? It feels impossible right now

Re: New to here and struggling

Hello

Many on this forum going through the same as you including me. How bad is your illness at this moment compared to the last few years? Do you find anything helps? I have heard some heart warming stories of recovery from seemingly hopeless situations and that is what I hold on to. Recovery is inside you somewhere you (and me) just need to find it. Have you had any therapy?

Never give up

Paul

Ssmith
    Yes, believe me, recovery is possible. Or at the very least getting to a place where you are as functional and happy as possible.
    You can read Mynameisterry's posts about changing thought patterns.
    If you believe recovery is impossible then it will be. BUT if you believe recovery is possible then it will be.
    Welcome x

Thank you for your replies guys.

Hipha, when i first came down with this, i was really bad. Housebound, crying every day, not eating, literally couldn't feel any worse. Gradually over the space of about 8 months, i slowly got better and went into a very mild depression. Although I'm currently struggling a lot, i can still go out and do things, eat, work (although contemplating asking for a week off sick), etc. I've found that I'll try to say to myself that how bad I'm feeling now will eventually pass, but it's so incredibly hard to believe it when you're in the midst of it. The worst thing for me is having all colour drained from my vision. Things in the last few days look a lot duller and my concentration is shot to pieces. Surrounding myself with loved ones seems to help me.

Sial72, I'll track down those posts and have a read. My biggest problem with the depression is believing this will never end. Have you got any tips to help this out? I often feel like I'm a unique case and that means nothing will help. Rationally i know this isn't true, but it's hard to seperate the rational and irrational parts of my mind.

Again, thank you for replying to me. I really appreciate it

I understand every word you say, even the bit about the uniqueness and believing it will never ever. Somebody said there is nothing more depressive than depression! That is why we need people saying to us that we will recover, because we can, I have been there.
    I will tell you the things that were most helpfull to me
    1. Claire Weekes books and audio (downloaded it onto my phone and kept listening to it)
    2. Exercise routine (in my case swimming)
    3. Magnesium and wheatgrass
    You CAN get better xx

Is there a Claire Weeks book you recommend reading or listening to first?

I would recommend Hope and Help for your Nerves. Also on Amazon they have got a free audio download Freedom from Nervous Suffering (see the conditions though as it is some Amazon trial thing).
    You need to get past how she speaks, which as somebody here said is like Dame Edna, and listen to what she says which is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sial72 View Post
    You need to get past how she speaks, which as somebody here said is like Dame Edna,
    I would keep thinking "I wonder if Charlton Heston is washing the dishes for her?"

Totally lol or the Australian version of Charlton...but if you can get past then (at least for me) the information is soooo helpful

Thread Information