Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: For you, what is the scariest symptom of a panic attack?

Re: For you, what is the scariest symptom of a panic attack?

I took a really bad panic attack last night. It was up there probably in my top 5 worst. The worst last night was the feeling of it was never going to end and it was going to consume me or drive me crazy.

Quite proud of myself though because an hour after it I managed to go for a twenty min walk myself. At the start of summer when I started having medium level attacks they were enough to keep me housebound fort a few days so I was quite proud yesterday.
    Last edited by GingerFish; 24-08-15 at 18:51.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

I hate the chest pain and the feeling of unreality. I'm terrified of vomiting and then I get really scared and nauseous and often do vomit. Then I am afraid that I'm going crazy and will have to be locked up and will lose my job and my family will be destitute.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFish View Post
    I took a really bad panic attack last night. It was up there probably in my top 5 worst. The worst last night was the feeling of it was never going to end and it was going to consume me or drive me crazy.

Quite proud of myself though because an hour after it I managed to go for a twenty min walk myself. At the start of summer when I started having medium level attacks they were enough to keep me housebound fort a fed dstd so I was quite proud yesterday.
    Sorry to hear that!! 😬😬 my last Attack was like that too! I felt like it would never end and I was just going to go insane!! But woo hoo to you for taking the walk by yourself!!!! I too often allow my attacks to ruin my plans for the rest of the day! So I understand your excitement!
    My power's turned on
    Starting right now I'll be strong
    I'll play my fight song
    And I don't really care if nobody else believes
    'Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me"

I managed to go on a five mile walk today with my partner and its a roasting hot day here today so I was expecting to be extra panicky because the heat makes me anxious but I managed fine. I had two panic attacks while out walking but they were just the minor ones that go away if you just slow down for a few mins and just gather yourself, my partner didn't even notice whereas yesterday with that bad panic attack, I was in hysterics. I was screaming, crying and pinching myself because I felt like I was dreaming or something.

Another panic attack symptom I hate is that everything looks different during an attack or when you are anxious. Its probably just a side effect of DP/DR but its so hard to explain. You can't explain what looks different but it really does seem so different to you even though you know nothing has changed.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

Dr Claire Weekes.

For me it's not being able to breathe (sometimes with the pounding heart etc. and sometimes with no other symptoms). I'm convinced I'm about to die. My first panic attack was the whole shebang: heart racing at a rate I've never had before, being unable to breathe, tunnel vision, pins and needles in hands and face, feeling hot and cold at the same time, dizziness and feeling I was about to drop dead instantly, I was convinced it was a heart attack even though I'm only 22...I've never been able to shake that feeling on the worst ones. I Was living alone in a foreign country where I don't speak the language and a trip to the hospital in an ambulance did nothing to settle me as I was convinced the doctors weren't understanding what happened...this was followed by repeated attacks every day without fail for a month or so, eventually calmed down to a few a week now.

Quote Originally Posted by icingsugar View Post
    For me it's not being able to breathe (sometimes with the pounding heart etc. and sometimes with no other symptoms). I'm convinced I'm about to die. My first panic attack was the whole shebang: heart racing at a rate I've never had before, being unable to breathe, tunnel vision, pins and needles in hands and face, feeling hot and cold at the same time, dizziness and feeling I was about to drop dead instantly, I was convinced it was a heart attack even though I'm only 22...I've never been able to shake that feeling on the worst ones. I Was living alone in a foreign country where I don't speak the language and a trip to the hospital in an ambulance did nothing to settle me as I was convinced the doctors weren't understanding what happened...this was followed by repeated attacks every day without fail for a month or so, eventually calmed down to a few a week now.
    Omg that sounds absolutely horrible. So glad your attacks have become less frequent now

Dr Claire Weekes.

The disorientation is probably one of the scariest symptoms for me. Weirdest thing I've ever felt, and it makes me more panicky. I remember having to walk out of a convention with my boyfriend and having no idea what was going on. I thought I was having a stroke or something.
    ""Now, Now, and Now again: for that instant that is full of everything that makes up your true life but is always just out of reach, first seeming only an arm's length away but forever out of reach, and the effort makes you tired but you can see it just out of reach, always it is out of reach..." ~ Jamaica Kincaid, See Now Then

Well done Gingerfish for walking and making yourself do it x

I've been able to manage my attacks a lot better the past week! However, when I'm woken up in the middle of the night (I have a 1 and 3 year old so this is quite often) I still feel really weird!! And tonight the nape of my neck was sweaty even though it's not hot in here! I'm sure I'm thinking too much into it like always lol but new symptoms always stress me out!
    My power's turned on
    Starting right now I'll be strong
    I'll play my fight song
    And I don't really care if nobody else believes
    'Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me"

Another symptom I hate and its quite a new one for me and only developed in the last few months is face tingling. One side of my face will tingle and buzz and it makes me jump to "I'm having a stroke!" Every single time

Dr Claire Weekes.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information