Thread: Does it work right away?

Does it work right away?

My doctor has just basically stopped Lorazepam after two years as I was too dependant on it and has given me Prop 40mg 3 x daily. It seemed to work really well the first day or two but today I feel super anxious and wondered if Prop is like other meds where it needs to get into your system properly before it really works or if I just have bad WD from the Lorazepam today. I am so mad he just stopped it.

Re: Does it work right away?

Hasn't he arranged a withdrawal plan? GP's shouldn't just stop someone using Benzo's if they are dependant on them.

If you are dependant, withdrawal is very likely going to increase your anxiety a lot and I don't know what others think, and there are people on here who will understand withdrawal from Benzo's who I hope will see your thread and give you some good advice, but I don't see how a beta-blocker is going to help with that.

He put me on Diaz for a couple of weeks then took me off the Lorazepam. Just had the beta-blocker for a week now and feel okish, very anxious when I woke up today and aren't sleeping very well at all but it's not been hell on earth so far. I just hope the anxiety is the WD though and not my GAD that I am suffering with again. I also take Ecitalopram.

Withdrawal is going to be likely. I get why he's given the beta-blockers now, just to try to dial down some physical symptoms alongside your SSRI. That may help then.

I wouldn't judge anything right now. But I would just see this as withdrawal and see what happens in the coming weeks before you consider anything with your GAD.

There are other med possibilities that don't require Benzo's that seem to help some people so even if that were the case, it's not the end of the line for meds. And then there is always the therapy route, alternative and many other things to try if you haven't been down that route yet.

Hopefully some of the people who have withdrawn from things like Diazepam will spot your thread and offer you some advice on this. I know some have said dropping off completely from a low dose was the worst part.

Thanks Terry. I am very anxious this morning even though I have taken 40mg of Prop. Hopefully it will wear off if I keep my mind occupied though soon. At least I slept better last night as I missed the Prop dose as it seems to give me insomnia, or that could also be the benzo wd though I never took benzo's for sleep. Perhaps I feel so jittery because of the missed night dose too though. Grrrrr, cannot win!

Insomnia is reported as Frequency Not Reported on Drugs.com. So, it could be or just the withdrawal. It does anxiety say insomnia is a common side effect on the first page though. Trouble sleeping is mentioned as more common in the children section though.

Maybe you were just exhausted by it all and slept? Being very anxious all the time is seriously draining. I was mega anxious when I started on the adrenaline level dose of Duloxetine but I could sleep. I found that so strange because I was so anxious I wouldn't sit down for hours when I woke or eat or anything.

Normally Propanalol is taken in 2 doses it dose mention the 3 doses:

While twice daily dosing of the immediate release formulation is effective and can maintain a reduction in blood pressure throughout the day, some patients, especially when lower doses are used, may experience a modest rise in blood pressure toward the end of the 12 hour dosing interval. This can be evaluated by measuring blood pressure near the end of the dosing interval to determine whether satisfactory control is being maintained throughout the day. If control is not adequate, a larger dose, or 3 times daily therapy may achieve better control.

So, I'm wondering whether 2 might be better if it means you can avoid the insomnia? It might be worth asking your GP about that?

A lot of us are worse in the mornings. I know that our cortisol levels are highest upon waking and reduce throughout the day. Maybe there is a link in there, I've not researched it enough to be honest but I do have this pattern myself.

Hi Karen
    Some doctors are just unbelievable!! So he thinks you are dependant and just takes you off it like that??!!
    Don't be afraid of it being your GAD again, it will be WD, I have been through it and it does cause anxiety, insomnia, etc etc
    With Benzos it should be done slowly and with support to understand that all the symptoms are because of WD and that they do eventually pass xx

I am amazed still too as it seems so cruel but I am doing ok all in all so far. I just feel quite eughhhh but not anywhere near as bad as when I gave up Mirtazapine. I think the Prop is helping though I am so tired on it but can fall asleep at night but wake up if I take it before bed. I missed it last night and went through till 5am, which I probs already mentioned but had the worst anxiety so far since stopping my benzo this morning. Thanks for your reply darl x

Thread Information