Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
Around 1990 (when I was 13) I developed a short-lived irrational phobia about custard.

At my first respite unit which I used to stay at on a monthly basis back then, there was a lobby (with closed doors) opposite the upstairs lounge which lead to a fire escape, and the dumbwaiter (goods lift that conveys food and drink items vertically between floors) terminated in there in its uppermost position from next to the kitchen underneath, and the afters sometimes came with custard, though thankfully none of the staff there ever made me eat anything I didn't like, which was a bonus considering there were a couple of power-mad bad apples working there with a bit of an attitude.

That lobby used to give me the heebies a bit as custard was passed through it, and even the light fittings in there which were batten holders with bare bulbs which reminded me of certain rooms in the house I lived in as a toddler-young child.

There were many other aspects of that building that gave me the creeps, as it just seemed to have bad vibes all round.

I seriously wonder if it is typical of many buildings that were designed and constructed during the mid-late 70s era?

BTW, I don't really have such issues with custard now.
I have just started having bitter-sweet flashbacks to my early 90s hatred of custard following the above post I did this morning.

The biggest one being my (maternal) grandmother proclaiming I was a fool to dislike custard and I didn't know what I was missing, and attempting to guilt-trip me into changing my mind by harping on about famines and starving children in Third World countries, whom she said would jump at the chance to eat it, and implying that I was selfish and ungrateful.

Yes I do care about famines and starving kids and the very thought of it all breaks my heart big time, but unfortunately it's an issue that's well out of my control and I do try to count my personal blessings, but seriously, custard is hardly an essential life-saving food, unlike basic fruit and vegetables at the very minimum.