Thread: On TV tonight..

On TV tonight..

I'm sure you all know but there is a programme on OCD tonight on BBC2 at 8pm. It features psychologist Uta Frith who is very well respected and the programme aims to dispel popular misconceptions about OCD and asks the question as to whether neuroscience can offer any form of a cure.

Re: On TV tonight..

Thanks for letting us know!

Interesting programme and no doubt it must be hell to live with extrem OCD as the first young man shown wat home with his girlfriend and Dad.

I just wondered how he had the mental courage to be tattooed extensively on both arms.

As for the Dutch lady who had extreme brain implants, I am not sure that would suit everyone and as yet it hasn't helped her.

Thanks Pulisa, I will be catching this on player when I have a chance!

Ricardo, I don't think it is that strange someone cannot function on a daily basis because of mental issues, but can be tattooed all over. I have OCD over germs and illness, yet I have my ears pierced 6 times in a variety of places. I panic driving 10 minutes down the road, but I've just come back from a holiday with a friend which included 2 connecting flights. Anxiety can affect you in many ways but it doesn't mean you don't have the mental courage to do anything at all. You've got to take what you've got and make the most of it!

I really enjoyed it - it's important to see what other people's experiences are and it helps me to understand better some our members who suffer from OCD. I'd recommend it, as long as you don't mind some scenes of dissections and surgery.

Ricardo - the young man in the film shows just how irrational this is. He could obviously (at some point) cope with having tattoos and not be too concerned about the potential for infection but now he struggles with day-to-day issues, worrying about contamination. This may seem contradictory to us but his anxiety is focussed on specific fears. Just the same as someone who can give a presentation to hundreds of people with no problems but gets anxious going to a small party with friends (me, by the way!).

Pip
    Last edited by Pipkin; 27-08-15 at 00:57.

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I hadn't looked at it that way so I suppose like all of us there are some things that cause us anxiety at different levels whilst other things aren't triggered for us to be anxious.

I have a list as long as my arm that at some stage has made me completely housebound,yet I have never had a fear of dentists and I have had implants,crowns,root canal, the lot.
    In the programme one guy mentioned an obsession with counting but I either misheard what he said or they didn't delve further. As far as I am concerned that was my one and only issue of OCD always counting things of absolutely no significance, but thet was in my early twenties and I grew out of that.Does anyone else do that and can someone explain why we do it and the connection with OCD.

Thread Information