Thread: heart rate seems much slower than normal?

heart rate seems much slower than normal?

My resting heart rate is always high. Usually it's in the 80's - 90's, and just standing up it's about 110-120 peats per minute. I have tachycardia all the time. I've been on 2 x 40mg a day propanolol for 4 years. It usually get my heart rate down to 70 sitting and 90 standing.

But the last few days, when I even take 20mg of propanolol, my heart rate seems to drop significantly. Especially when I'm lying down or resting. My heart was 120 standing up, too fast as usual, so I took 40mg. And that dose took my heart rate all the way down to 54 yesterday (lying down) and I could hardly believe it. That's the slowest it's ever been.

I got worried, called my doctor. She said half the tablets and take as needed. So today I've only taken 20mg and my heart is still only about 60! I'm really worried. It should be in the 70s, even with propanolol.

Why is it going so slow? It's almost as if my tablets have increased their potency or something. I'm freaking out. What if I have heart failure or something.

BTW, I'm not fit and I'm more nervous than I have ever been in my life so I don't understand why propranolol is making my heart so slow nowadays. This is really weird. I was trying to wean myself off slowly, so I haven't been taking as much. But for some reason, even 10mg of the drug can make my heart so slow, even though months ago I was on 160mg a day with normal effects :/
    Last edited by eastofeden; 29-08-15 at 01:58.

Re: heart rate seems much slower than normal?

I'm sure you don't have heart failure darl. My heart rate is 64 on this drug but my Mum tested hers (she has a bp machine) and it was 49. She takes Atanol beta blocker.

Don't worry!

My heart rate is always in the 50-60 and i do take betablockants when i have panic attack and high bp and it will go back into the 50-60.

You're fine trust me, absolutely nothing to worry about.

I found on atenolol and propranolol (both beta blockers) my resting heart rate dropped from mid-80s to mid-50s, which did concern me a bit.

Obviously your Doc is best placed to say whether that should be a concern for you. I came off both drugs in the past for different reasons though.

beta blockers are meant to slow your heart rate down, providing you don't feel dizzy a heart rate of 50-60 is fine.
    i don't tolerate beta blockers well as they make me feel really tired and like i'm dragging a stone around with me, i only take 10mgs propanolol when i need to calm down a bit. strangely although they make me weary i also find they distrub my sleep.

I take propanalol for anxiety symptoms of excessive adrenaline, which does help.
    It has never occurred to me to take my pulse.

I know it has been while since you posted but wondering about your outcome, Eastofeden?
    This happened to me too. I used propranolol 10mg as needed for anxiety. I wasn't dosing more than once every few months and had donse so for years without problems. Suddenly had very low heart rate (in the 30's) with one 10mg dose of propranolol ---and I haven't taken it since. I have since developed frequent heart palpitations and episodes of racing heart. Did you ever find out the cause of this? And what was the outcome for you? I finally got a referral to see an electrophysiologist, but the appt is not scheduled yet. I am living in a constant state of fear

Thread Information