Thread: Psychodynamic Therapy

Psychodynamic Therapy

I went to the hospital today for an assessment.

After 2 hours of explaining my childhood and current circumstances the assessor came to the conclusion that what I probably need is long term psychodyamic therapy.

When he said long term to me he was meaning between 12-18 months of therapy and there's just no way I'm willing to tolerate this for such a long period, especially as I'm very sceptical about therapies after my experiences with CBT. He also said I'd likely have to do it privately or through a charity as the NHS provide very little provision for psychodynamic therapy - there's little chance I can afford to do it privately anyway which probably makes the decision for me.

I also don't have the mental energy, belief or desire to implement such a long term programme of therapy especially as there's no guarantee it'll help me. I know there's no quick fix to 30 years of torment, however the devil in me says there's no fix at all (as it's too embedded in me) and there's a much easier way to solve the issue permanently which is what I should focus on.

I will have a chat with my compassionate therapist in my final meeting with her next month to see what she thinks. I've had a look on here but can't see much about peoples experiences/views on psychodynamic, so not sure what to do.

Thanks for reading

Re: Psychodynamic Therapy

If it is because of depression, IAPT have launched a cutdown version of psychodynamic therapy called DIT which they are rolling out across the country. So, probably 12-15 sessions.

It's good to see a new therapy we can access but I'm a bit skeptical with it very conveniently fitting the same timescale as CBT but maybe it could be an inbetween for you to try?

Psychodynamic therapy is what you can access at Level 4 services when you get past the IAPT people and into the community mental health teams so you are accessing psychologists/psychiatrists. So, it can take years for us with anxiety to even access them guys which might explain why there isn't much on here about it. Have you thought about reading about it as a therapy or Googling for professional articles on it as opposed to user stories?

You might find some user stories on MIND with them covering more than anxiety.

I was offered psychodynamic therapy on the NHS a few years back but turned it down because I couldn't commit to 12 months plus of weekly therapy and like you, was dubious as to what it could actually do for me other than try to apportion blame on my parents (the usual targets)

Psychodynamic therapy tends to be more introspective and insight-oriented than CBT. It looks more inward at your unconscious thoughts and behaviors with goals of developing insight into why you behave the way you do, etc.

It grew from Freudian therapy - psychoanalysis - however modern psychodynamic therapists are different than what you would picture with Freud and have grown.

There is a lot out there online if you want to look into it prior to starting. I've never had it done myself, so can't give a lot more details, but would be interesting to give a shot and see how it goes.

I had my assessment on Wednesday as I mentioned and psychodynamic therapy has been suggested to me.It is a six month course, weekly but in groups.(That is the offer where I live).

I won't entertain group therapy and also it's miles away, 50 minutes by car each way,no direct route by public transport.

I am interested in it and the cost of two cabs would be more than a private therapist locally.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and replies

I actually told my assessor that I would prefer a group type of therapy as I would prefer to be amongst like minded people who may understand me more. I know I'd hear some horror experiences from others which would make mine pale in comparison and make me wonder why I was there, but they all normally lead to the same symptoms.

The assessor told me that Psychodynamic will help me relate my thoughts & behaviour patterns to incidents in my past - I already know what relates to what as I've had 30 years of being like this so not sure what I would gain from talking over what my mind already knows.

I'll maybe read into it a bit first but there's no way I can do weekly private sessions for 12-18 months.

I had my second assessment yesterday and to be honest it didn't go that well.

may I remind you all this is the new Complex Depression and Anxiety Service (CDAS).

The whole group had a meeting about me and came to the conclusion that mindfulness over a 20 week period would be the most beneficial treatment for me, in groups of 12, but as the current group has already started I would have to wait at least 3 months and make my own way there and back, alone.

To help me they suggest 4 CBT sessions at home to get me used to the exposure and then being able to attend.

I haven't been anywhere on my own in over 30 years, so I have a beeter chance of learning to fly lol.

The other option was a be mindful course on the web at a cost of £60.00 anyway heard of this.http:www.bemindfulonline.co.uk/the-course/

The lady who conducted both my assessments is a mental health nurse.

I really don't know what to think any suggestions,please.

There is a free complete 8 week MBSR course on my Mindfulness thread, follow the signature. If you look on bemindful's website you will see they explain both types, MBCT and MBSR. It's going to save you £60 and if it's not for you, you can find out for free. Or dip you toe in MBCT with the free downloads from professor Mark Williams book on the thread. He co created MBCT and there is a vid of him on bemindful's website. His book is usually about £5-7 online which will bring in the CBT style "habit releasers".

Bemindful should be trusted, it's the Mental Health Foundation and they are a long running charity.

4 sessions of CBT to get you into a group. They are pretty hopeful then! The trouble with this is, what if you are so anxious you can't engage in the group sessions? So, will you spend the first so many just trying to do that and end up behind?

A longer number of CBT sessions might make more sense but really it's all about you doing the very hard work when it comes to exposure and to be honest, if you understand how to create lists from easiest to hardest, it's not rocket science...only doing the exercises are ever the hard bit with ERP.

Thank you.

Ricardo,

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=169814

They brought in a new policy to allow patients to choose their provider so we can now go a bit further away if it gets us a service. We can't choose the therapy though.

Just thinking with you being in London, you might be able to access a similiar service in a neighbouring borough? My city is much smaller than yours but we have complete cover via one NHS service and it was there when I had my breakdown 9 years ago.

That would mean a longer travel, so I know it may be worse but perhaps it may open up other options e.g. a couple of members on here have mentioned therapy via telephone and a 24 hour CBT telephone service. So, I wonder whether we could access services in different regions of England who had a slot for you and offered a telephine service? This would be better anyway given your situation.

Seriously, the NHS needs to wake up to the modern age as private therapists use Skype thesedays, including the Mindfulness ones.

Thread Information