Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SAMe for depression

Re: SAMe for depression

Looking at the goat's milk kefir, it can be made the same way as with cow's milk. So, it won't affect the grains like coconut milk and others do. (ones that affect the grains mean you will end up damaging (lack of food to nourish them) them so need another "mother" to start with which means more than one colony of starter which is impractical with kefir reall).

Here is link explaining the issues with using raw milk that you will need to know if you are avoiding pasteurised products:

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/raw-milk-kefir

If you are OK with goat's milk, how about using it to make some cheese too? You can even make kefir cheese. Quark seems to be a good source for K2 too which is good for me as I eat it daily. You can make quark out of goat's milk too but you will probably find store bought quark will be cow's milk. I plan on making my own shortly anyway and it's supposed to be nicer. I've tried two brands so far and one was very acidic in taste so I didn't like it (quark is supposed to be sour but mild) but the better branded one was fine. It took a few "eats" to get used to the sourness but after that I liked it. It's pretty versatile too as it can be put on things in the same way you do with yogurt and this is how they tend to eat it a lot where it comes from (Germany). It's very easy to make at home as well.

There is a question on here about pasteurisation and vitamin K and it says it is heat-resistant so perhaps worth checking the attached article as it mentions observation through tests of some kind:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-...#axzz3lmQUTLFz

Some more alternatives in fish shown on here that links back into the article in the link above I think as it talks about the same person:

http://www.mothering.com/forum/365-t...na-planck.html

It's interesting that K2 deficiency can result in fatigue and that K2 is in it's largest quantities in saliva to protect from tooth decay and in the brain. I wonder why in the brain? Something to look into there to see whether it's any help with anxiety/depression maybe?

It does say in a section in a post on there that there was a study of K2 helping children with asthma. So, something for me to look into there as that would be very helpful. I notice the kefir allergy link too and thats another interest for me to see if that could help with my asthma.

Did you notice it mentioned fermented veggies in there? So, you could easily make some sauerkraut or perhaps some pickles? That way you also get some more probiotics too.

Here is the quantity of K in goat's milk:

http://milkfacts.info/Nutrition%20Fa...%20Content.htm

It's seems to be MK7 for kefir. I'm struggling to find a quantity though.

How about kombucha? You can buy this or you can make it. It takes more care than kefir though.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 15-09-15 at 07:18.

You may be right, or, rather, Mark et al may be right about Vitamin K and pasteurization. Most links I see are either government or else from the dairy industry, and call me cynical, but I can't imagine them saying anything negative about pasteurization, it being the law 'n all ...

http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.ca/...2-content.html This link kind of supports the use of (aged) cheeses and notes the increase in Vitamin K due to fermentation. I'm thinking it may be the best sort of dairy source we can buy, at least in North America (unless you can find a friend with a cow or a goat!) I noted the comment from the guy about Gruyere cheese from Switzerland, made from raw milk.

In my obsessive reading on the subject, I have learned that the Swiss are adamant about their use of raw milk for their cheeses. And jealously protective of their Brie. Yes, traditional, award winning, beautifully healthy and sinfully delicious Brie was first created in Switzerland, and the French are mere pretenders. In fact, lawsuits erupted when they tried to use the same seals of excellence awarded the Swiss Brie, and they do not have rights to these European seals. Although they continue to trumpet their own seals. I would dearly love to buy some of the true Brie, but I have not been able to find any.

"The Raw Milk Cheesemakers Association hold that cheese produced from raw milk have distinctive complexity and depth of flavor absent from pasteurized-milk cheeses.[38]"
    Wikipedia.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm afraid I would still manage to kill myself if I tried to make my own cheeses, haha! ... I did spot a cheese today from Spain made from raw milk, however, it contains animal rennet so I didn't buy any.

I confess, I love the bottled kombucha I tried in BC health food stores. High in sugar though, and also quite energizing, so best taken in the morning. I will have ... We don't have a real health food store where I live, the three we have each have only one refrigerated case filled with nutritional enzymes, and maybe the kind of omegas that require refrigeration. Expensive vitamins, huge vats of whey protein. A few dry goods. That's it. There is a larger spinoff store run by the same people as the "hulk" place downtown, I may check it out, but it too is a franchise, so fresh foods and bottled items are probably not in the script. Unfortunately I have too much on my plate to make my own foods, more's the pity ...

No "real" delicatessens either. So, not much in the way of imported cheeses, or even really good domestics. I did see some goat brie (pasteurized) in two grocery stores today, am holding out for a double cream if I can find one! Oddly, a serving contains only 2% of the RDA for calcium (?) and no cheeses list vitamin K at all. I did find a nice cheddar from the UK though, ha ha! A Snowden smoked cheddar, made with vegetable rennet. It lists 'milk' without specifying that it's pasteurized, and being aged, it is possible that it may not be (?) 20% calcium per serving. I will take my enzymes and try it with some fruit tomorrow, I'm sure it will be good! ... Tonight I tried a grilling cheese. Forgot the enzymes and I have blown up like a balloon here. Chased dinner with the enzymes, that at least stopped the burning in my gut ... Ugh.

It's real shame you have so little access to things where you live. I guess it's something we can often forget in UK as we often have good access to supermarkets and we are less spread out so the postal system is pretty regular & effecient.

What's the name of the cheese? I may have had it. Some aged smoked cheeses are a bit strong in the smokiness taste for me to haver anymore than a little bit. Then there are the really aged unpasteurised cheeses that will stink your house out.

Do you think you could do the kefir then? I'm thinking maybe that will allow you to get the calcium & vitamin K. It's a very low maintenance ferment. You don't need that much of it really as it's so high in probiotics.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information