Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAMe for depression

Re: SAMe for depression

No I am not a vegie or vegan Marie I just like Tofu,chickpeas and all legumes.
    Terry add LSA to your yoghurt.
    Now I have been told not to eat so much legumes,I should be on the Paleo Diet....pfft.
    amel milk is very good for you,if you can get it try it

Marie,

Useful list of nuts & seeds by highest to lowest in trytophan:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-...ml?maxCount=52

Camel milk, Petra? That must be risky with those angry beasts

Lol! Was thinking the same thing myself ...

Thanks for the list, Terry. Probably best to get from food, ongoing, meanwhile, I am boosting with the L-tryp. Empty stomach, 1/2 hr after my serrapeptase, so far so good... Today is my last day on the 120,000 units form, tomorrow I switch to the 90,000 units serrapeptase. I have just 10 days supply of these, after which I will decrease to the 60,000 units.

The idea is to find the lowest effective dose and carry on with that. I will mix up some magnesium oil and augment with it, and work in my physio exercises as well, it all helps! My sister takes curcumin, which is meant to reduce inflammation too, so I will look at taking that alongside. When I have bad flare-ups, I figure I can double up the 60,000s for a bit again, and will continue especially with the mag oil. I generally do get flares in the coldest part of the winter, and am hoping to minimize the acetaminophen (paracetamol) this year.

Petra, I know, I too have been told by the Paleos that by being vegetarian I am missing out, however, I do eat fish, shellfish, and eggs, I just prefer the days when I don't, lol! I love lentils and beans, and am trying to sprout them to avoid all these antinutrients they all point to. However, last time I did this using apple cider vinegar in the water, I bloated up like a balloon and couldn't get to sleep for the gas, even with the digestive enzyme for beans. ... Legumes of all sorts are such an economical choice, and large parts of the world have done well with them and rice for eons. I also love the idea of having assorted bags of dried ones in the cupboard, and a few different types of rice, and not having to head out to the store as much. Which is great when it is -60 with the windchill out there! ... Is it any wonder I have seasonal affective disorder?

Camel milk is 3 times as rich in Vitamin C as cows milk,it is rich în iron,unsaturated fatty acids and B Vitamins,they have been drinking camel milk for years in the middle east.
    I have made homemade Ricotta using Camel milk it has a slight salty taste and it is pure white,unlike cows milk.I also drink goat milk and make my cheese from it also

Can you still get the hump with camel milk?

Quote Originally Posted by blue moon View Post
    Camel milk is 3 times as rich in Vitamin C as cows milk,it is rich în iron,unsaturated fatty acids and B Vitamins,they have been drinking camel milk for years in the middle east.
    I have made homemade Ricotta using Camel milk it has a slight salty taste and it is pure white,unlike cows milk.I also drink goat milk and make my cheese from it also
    "Hey pal, get off thats not an udder!!!"

Terry.You said you would not post that picture of me and my camel,

Marie,

What do you make of magnesium when it comes to working out the actual elemental magnesium?

As I understand it, there is usually a smaller amount of elemental and the rest is the stuff to allow it to digest. Good explanation here:

https://www.paleohacks.com/magnesium...agnesium-17726

The problem I have with it is that manufacturers don't all state the elemental values so you may have 400mg citrate but that won't deliver 400mg of magnesium, it will be far lower, and then digestion will lose some too. Some forms are more easily absorbed so we tend to head for the chelates for that reason but people heading for the salt versions like citrate may not be aware of just how llittle the product will even try to deliver before they fail to absorb some anyway.

Also, did you notice one of the comments on that website you posted that mentioned a bathing routine to rebalance magnesium? I know you can get magnesium chloride flakes these days (and they look pretty cheap when compared to the oils) but I think this would probably be the old Epsom salts as well which a few people on here have mentioned helped them feel better. I know you can get creams as well. Would any of that help your sister?

---------- Post added at 08:13 ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blue moon View Post
    Terry.You said you would not post that picture of me and my camel,
    I thought it was the only one I could post, that one in the S&M gear would surely get me a ban...

S&M photo is an old one,now I have cellulite I have decided to wear chaps and long leather sleeve to cover my tuck shop arms...lol

Lol! Blue Moon, you slay me!

... Terry, I agree that most people probably don't realize how little elemental magnesium they are getting from most supplements, and the fact that some of that is lost to digestion. I am leaning towards the transdermal for at least part of my dose now for that reason alone. Plus I do think it helps some against pain. Just had a therapeutic massage yesterday and had the therapist use straight mag gel instead, and I don't ache today like I did last time.

I did look at the spray and the lotion, but the elemental magnesium for these was pitiful, and they were much more costly than the gel, which at least can be mixed with distilled water, for more applications. Although, at only 60 mg elemental mag per 1 ml gel, even with several diluted applications per day a person would probably still need to supplement with capsules.

No, I missed that part about Epsom salts baths, Terry. However, I have just read a commentor on the "oil" site, stating that magnesium flakes are the chloride form which is more absorbable than epsom salts, (the sulfate form), and therefore much less needs to be used in the bath. Even epsom salts are no longer as cheap as they once were, and I was finding it starting to get costly to be going through so much when I used to get a killer massage regularly, and then come home to try to forestall the aches with them in a bath. maybe a mixture of both types would be cheaper and more effective at the same time.

I am now considering the flakes for making "oil spray" as well. Tbh, I didn't buy those just because of their weight. It cost a lot as it was to mail/pack the small bottles of gel I bought, and we were interested mainly in trialing them for pain relief. Now back at home, I don't know that I will be able to find the flakes here, but if I do I will try to find a spray bottle, and use Wellnessmama's recipe. I imagine this is the link I posted before?

http://wellnessmama.com/5804/make-yo...magnesium-oil/

One commenter advises warm rather than hot water is best for transdermal absorption, I see. Warnings are there against pregnant women taking baths altogether! I knew about sauna/hot tubs, but nothing about baths as such ...

I think their weight would make magnesium flakes prohibitive to buy online, unless one could wangle free shipping. I will check the pharmacies and health food stores here for them, fingers crossed. I don't think the bottle of gel is going to last as long as I had initially figured!

M.

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

Update: In the comments section of the maker of the Ancient Minerals brand of magnesium oil spray, someone posted this recipe for a bedtime cream application. (Note: many people use coconut oil as a carrier, as it is believed to assist in absorption)

Hi - I used raw organic shea butter, raw organic coconut oil, heated together very slowly, using very low heat in a double boiler until both oils melted. I added magnesium chloride liquid, and blended with a hand blender (stick blender). Put the mixture in a clean mason jar, then in the fridge. This method seemed to work - the liquids all blended and have not separated at room temp. I use this topically on my arms, legs, feet and stomach before bed. I may have made the mix a bit too strong, as it makes me really sleepy! My husband too.

-can you share the ratios you used. I would like some sleepy moisturizer. =)

1/4 coconut oil to 3/4 raw organic shea butter. The magnesium separated out in the next batch I made :( -- which I don't understand! THe only difference is that my old handblender broke and we have a new one. Still, it's really good! You can even pat on the magnesium and then follow with the shea/coconut oil mix. That works too.
    Oh! Pat the magnesium on your armpits -- absorbs more quickly.

-Can you specify how much magnesium oil you used?

About a tablespoon.

.... I also read about homemade transdermal "patches" created by soaking gauze or cheesecloth in the oil, applying, and then wrapping with heavy plastic wrap.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information