Page 11 of 179 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Positive Thoughts

Re: Positive Thoughts

"Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

"I find the positive in the negative all the time. Any time you give something power, it wins, and it can continuously happen, so I just let negative people know they have no place in my life. They have no place around my children."

Monica Denise Brown

This is SO true. By giving your anxiety and your symptoms attention, you're giving them power and they win. By letting it know it has no place in your life, you can disable it.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

I am sure this is controversial, but I personally think this new term of "health anxiety" as a diagnosis causes people to think of it as an actual disease that is exerting control over them. The old term of hypochondria(c) seems to me to better define that it is the person himself who has somehow let their anxiety to cling to physical symptoms and to try to pin them to a disease. I have OCD, so I understand the obsession as a means to try to control.

The ones who seem to get freedom from this form of OCD, are the ones who have become aware of these patterns as futile at best. They have come on NMP to post that for them, there was no real reassurance. They were ready to admit that they would just turn to some other new symptom and build up a fear of having some other physical disease. It was a vicious circle. They shared that with this realization, instead of feeling "hopeless" and a victim of this "disease", they came to realize it was their anxiety expressing itself. Getting help for the anxiety is what finally led to breaking free.

Especially after reading these posts, I decided it was counterproductive for me to respond when folks were in the midst of the reassurance-seeking stage of the pattern. It is not because I don't respect or care about them, it is because I do. Sooner or later folks will be presented with a window through which they can glimpse their power to change their situation. Just like I am sure others could clearly see what had control of me and reached in to try to shake me out of my worst obsession, I sometimes find myself doing the same with them. But I honestly try not to these days.

That said, here is why I don't think a diagnosis of "health anxiety" is particularly helpful to adopt. To me it smacks of the first in a long line of life-altering diseases which the sufferer has to give over power to. Which is not true at all. They have bonafide anxiety, to be sure. Especially for them, though, I feel would be more supportive to call it what it is: anxiety calling for attention, which the sufferer can learn to manage in a healthy way. Here's what I believe: Like all of us, they need to come around to recognizing the behaviours in a non-judgemental setting, which takes a relationship built on trust. They need to be supported to see the hope in treatment as a method for them to dismantle their behaviour patterns. They deserve the chance to have all this when they show up. ... Social anxiety, I'm told, can be put in its place by plucking up one's courage and simply refusing to be self-conscious for even just a little while at a time. We ALL get nervous about meeting strangers sometimes, and have to force ourselves to go forward with it, so we understand! ... It is also normal for everyone to have aches and pains every single day. We would all like to put them into boxes when they are scary. FMP, by digging deeper you managed to get to the bottom of your distress the other day. You used your power to look at what might be going on in your subconscious mind to cause it. Therapy helped you get to this place of command. I am not there at the moment, but you are inspiring me to get there, too.

This is all I can offer our fellows, things that help me : Against physical pain, take two acetaminophen tablets. It is something I can do, and often helps. In times of mental distress, grab a hot water bottle, a cup of tea, and a good book. Honestly, it can be quite distracting from all sorts of upsets of the mind. Or make buttered popcorn and watch an action movie that creates suspense and excitement, and give yourself over to it. And each time your mind throws up a trial balloon to try to convince you to turn to fear - take power like its parent and tell it no, you are not "going there". And, if you are in that place where FMP was, try to find out what is at the root of your panic. Why is your mindbody really trying to get your attention. Try a little self-compassion.

FMP, I am really finding hope from your positivity and I know others are too.
    Marie
    Last edited by SADnomore; 24-12-15 at 10:27.

Thank You Marie...

You bring up a very valid point and observation. From an outside perspective, I often see the all too familiar patterns of reassurance seeking and symptom hopping that are just a couple of hallmark symptoms of HA. I agree concerning the label too. Anxiety is anxiety it seems. It just takes on different manifestations.

I've said many times that it sometimes seems like people treat their anxiety like a co-dependent relationship. They know the behaviors are detrimental but they refuse to let it go. They stay with it because it's what they know and it's become a part of their identity. How many times have you seen a post about being anxious because they weren't feeling anxious?

It really does come down to the inner fortitude to take the steps necessary to dig their way out of their illness. Whether it's therapy, meds, self help in the form of exercise, relaxation techniques, meditation etc. Some can, some can't, some want to and some don't, and sadly some just do not possess that strength.

In my personal experience, attitude plays a huge role in my mental and physical state. These quotes I post are quotes I read every day, sometimes several times a day. I've made it a habit. The same quotes I post here are often the wallpaper or screen saver on my computer for the day. I've been known to post sticky notes on the bathroom mirror to remind me.

I'm pleased that they help. That is the intention of this thread. It seems to be read quite so I know, for what it's worth, it's a "positive" thing Have hope, have faith, look at the glass half full. It makes it so much easier to get through the day.

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence."

Helen Keller

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 24-12-15 at 17:02.

FMP and Marie, your contributions to NMP are much valued by me. You have both been through so much and I admire your strength and fortitude in helping others less able to see a way through.

I wish you both a happy and healthy Christmas and New Year and thank you again for all that you do xx

Thank you Pulisa... You have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Positive thoughts

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live."

George Carlin

That certainly explains it! Merry Christmas!

Positive thoughts

"Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles."

- Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)
    American Writer

Positive thoughts

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything"

George Bernard Shaw

Positive thoughts

"Chaotic people often have chaotic lives, and I think they create that. But if you try and have an inner peace and a positive attitude, I think you attract that."

Imelda Staunton

Isn't that some truth? Drama begets drama and having anxiety is a lot like that. Anxiety creates chaos in the mind which in turn attracts and creates more chaos. A positive attitude and gaining an inner peace puts a stop to the cycle and in turn attracts more positives.

Positive thoughts

Page 11 of 179 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread Information