Thread: Left hand keeps going numb, getting worried?

Left hand keeps going numb, getting worried?

When I wake up my left hand seems to be numb, and it stays like that on and off all day. I have no idea if it's something neurological like a migraine or a stroke or if it's something like a pinched nerve or carpal tunnel. I'm only 22 so I don't know if that's possible at my age. Plus I take blood pressure medication aka a beta blocker, and I've had an ultrasound of my heart too, everything was good, so I don't know how I could have a stroke. I have noticed the day after drinking caffeine it seems to be worse. I have had migraines with numbness before, but it usually only last 20 minutes. This has been going on and off all week.

I do sleep on/lean on my left arm a lot and my elbow/wrist is bent from using the computer a lot too. Moving my wrist seems to exacerbate it. The back of my hand and my ring/pinky fingers seem to worse affected. Apart from this pins and needles, I'm completely fine. No headache, no paralysis, no drooping face, I can move fine. I even checked my pupils to make sure there was no neurological damage, and they are reacting to light just fine. I phoned NHS 24 and they said it was maybe just anxiety, but I don't think it is. This is really stressing me out though.
    Last edited by eastofeden; 29-08-15 at 23:08.

Re: Left hand keeps going numb, getting worried?

Quote Originally Posted by eastofeden View Post
    I do sleep on/lean on my left arm a lot and my elbow/wrist is bent from using the computer a lot too. Moving my wrist seems to exacerbate it. The back of my hand and my ring/pinky figners seem to worse affected. Apart from this pins and needles, I'm completely fine. No headache, no drooping on my face, I can move fine though.
    That and the fact that anxiety will exasperate symptoms would be my guess. I get similar symptoms and that's exactly why.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Carpal and ulnar tunnel. It sucks, but it's totally benign and an annoyance more than anything.

Agree with Jared. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists one worse than other and even wearing carpel tunnel splint in bed I still wake up with thumb and first two fingers numb. The feeling comes back very quickly.

If its really bothering you then your Dr can send you to a carpal tunnel clinic as I was for diagnosis and treatment if necessary.

Thread Information