Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phobia

KW

I used to be the same about meetings!

I hated being shut in and the thought that I couldn't leave without making a scene.

My boss knew about this and used to leave the door open so I could leave if I wanted to and not feel so shut in.

I would take water - a bottle of it, not just a glass and some paper and pen so I could always pretend to be making notes and use it as a distraction.

I am fine in meetings now but I know that they are hard when you feel shut in and panicky and you don't want to make a scene by walking out.

Hope it gets better for you.

Nicola

Hi Nicola

I take the minutes for these meetings so it's really difficult.. i just have a fear of people looking at me and listening to me. We have weekly team meetings and there are about 15 of us. I know everyone so well now but my fear still remains... we go around the room to update on our work and i work myself up so much when it gets to me i can hardly speak ..well i take beta blockers now so i am able to get words out but it's still mentally draining. i go bright red and just hate everyone looking at me (sometimes i think i'm gonna faint or say something stupid).. i wish this fear would go away.. already dreading this week's meeting :(

KW

Hi all

Well I managed to get through another week's meeting. I felt really confident today and expressed myself well. I wish it could be like this all the time but at least it's a positive this week!

KW

Hi KW

Well done. You sound so positive today. Surviving the meeting and expressing yourself well is a great achievement. I understand how difficult it can be.

You are doing well.

Briary

Hi Briary

Thank u. I'm going to make that appointment to this week to start having CBT, even though i'm full of confidence today i know it won't last so this still needs addressing. How are you today?

KW

Hi KW

I'm doing ok today thanks. I've been to see my hypnotherapist this afternoon.

It is good you are going to make an appointment for CBT. Seeing a therapist and finding this site have helped me so much.

Briary

KW -

**I wish it could be like this all the time but at least it's a positive this week! **

* confidence today i know it won't last *

See how you are ... setting yourself up for failure ..

How about changing these to

I've had a great meeting this week and intend to repeat it again next week and build on this success

and

I'm full of confidence today and will book and see a CBT to help me keep it this way .

Energy follows thought .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
    - Albert Einstein.

Hi Meg

I know i think negatively, have done for the past 20 years. Have tried to break out of the pattern and get stonger but it's difficult. I am determined to go to the meetings i wont avoid them, not now, thanks to this site as i feel more encouraged to do better. Have been looking at counselling places tonight with my boyfriend (he's helping me alot) and we've been discussing which sound good etc, but i will phone tomorrow and make that appointment

KW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information