Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phobia

Phobia

Hi all

I'm totally new to this. Well I've suffered with panic attacks since childhood, but i only get them in social gatherings.. when i have to speak in a group setting. I'm ok with family & friends but if it's work or strangers i have a full panic attack and can't even get any words out as i'm so out of breath. I have to attend weekly meetings at work and it's becoming unbearable. I'm trying to find ways of avoiding going to the meetings. I hate people looking and listening to me. Is it people i have a fear of? Just wish there was some way out.

KW

hi

all you have to do is dont look at the people, look at a wall and focus on a spot, also try and think nice things.

HanzaGanza

hello there KW,

There are lots of people who feel comfortable with small groups of people but who don't deal very well with large groups of people, especailly when you don't know them very well. No going to the meetings will help you in the short term but it won't do you any good in the long run. It would be better to keep going to the meetings but try to figure out a way of making yourself feel more comfortable there. Have you tried using any calming essential oils or maybe natural remedies?

Sarah

Hi KW

Welcome to the site. I also get panic attacks when in social situations and when I have to talk to people unless I know them very well. It sounds like you are doing well with your job and going to the meetings although it is difficult.

I am sure you will find this site helpful.

Briary

Hi KW,
    Welcome to the site! Lots of us find social situations very difficult, especially as you say in large groups and when you feel you're the centre of attention. I've found it quite difficult since I was a child. These work meetings do sound quite tricky, you're not alone there!
    But, I would say that avoiding this meetings isn't the right answer. It may seem easier in the short term but in the long run it will just make it get even harder. Do try techniques to make it easier. Breathing exercises are useful to calm yourself or as HanzaGanza says, take your attention away from the fact that you feel the centre of attention by disracting yourself;perhaps by focusing on a spot on the wall.
    I'm sure you're not scared of people as such, as you can still feel comfortable around some people like family and friends.
    Good luck, keep us informed of your progress,
    ed

Hi KW,

Sounds like you've kept a lid on things and haven't let this problem get out of control which is great. The fact that you are still attending the meetings is very positive and even if it feels cr*p at the time dont give in.

Why not try taking a glass of cold water in with you if possible and maybe a note pad and pen so you can pretend to be making notes if you dont want to maintain eye contact. Also try positive affirmations and tell yourself that you're doing well, everything is fine, the meeting wont last long etc. Maybe rescue remedy would be helpful, you can buy it in most chemists off the shelf.

Good luck
    Caroline
    x

KW

welcome to the site. my phobia scolionophobia (fear of school) is linked to my other fear social phobia.i hate been watched and seen when at school as i feel i will make a fool of myself.

i hope your coping well, you will get 100% support here

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

Hi KW

Welcome to the site.

Can understand how you feel. I am quite an outgoing person but put me in a position like you mention and it all goes pear shaped.

I find it hard at work and this week as i am acting up i have to attend meetings and i am chewing myself up so much. All the what ifs possible are going through my head. I always find with myself that its the feeling of been trapped as in a meeting you cant just get up and walk out.

Love Sal xxxxx

Hi Sal

Thank you for your reply. Well your words and others really helped me and i attended the meeting today & all went well, although i'm already dreading next week's! I take beta blockers to help the panic attacks but the psychological side of it still remains.

Yes i know how u feel about feeling trapped. I'm thinking of going to see someone on a regular basis about it, i've tried relaxation but it only came back. Do you have any kind of help?

I will be thinking of you this week with your meetings.

KW x

KW

Relaxation and CBT is a good combination .

Meg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information