Thread: To anyone with pure o, is this normal?:(

To anyone with pure o, is this normal?:(

Is it normal for your mind to get "tired" over obsessing with something 24/7? My recent obsession has been my worst yet and it's Existential OCD. Everything I do or every time I feel happy an intrusive thought comes into my head saying "this doesn't matter, you're going to die so it's all pointless" or simple "what's the point?" Thoughts come into my head but I hate them. But lately I've been getting bored of obsessing about it? And it's making me worried that the thoughts aren't causing as much distress and depression as they used to (which was last week) is this normal? Because I obsessed about it 24/7 and what triggered it was my philosophy class we studied about Nihilism and it scared me that most philosophers are depressed their whole lives. But yeah is it normal for my mind to just start getting tired of the obsessions and become desensitized? I'm starting to get worried that I'm subconsciously becoming nihilistic:((

Re: To anyone with pure o, is this normal?:(

I think if you ask anyone with anxiety they will tell you how tiring it all is. Certainly as a GAD sufferer it wears me out big time. My OCD wears me out too, although mine was more physical compulsions & routines than Pure O which was mostly harm based thoughts for me. I had racing thoughts though and my mind just wouldn't switch off and it is very draining.

Sometimes you just get tired and the anxiety seems to fade. This seems to be when you body needs to recharge itself. It can release more & more GABA (neurotransmitter) calm us down as well as the Serotonin. So, all those exhitory neurotransmitters fire to keep us thinking so much and then the inhibitory ones come in to balance them out. I think for people like us, it's more a swing than a balance at times.

On some threads you will see people with Pure O becoming desensitized to their intrusive thoughts and this scares them as it forces them to question whether they are turning into the thing they fear because it is not scaring them as much. When I had my harm based thoughts coupled with Magical Thinking, I can remember going through this after a while and even into a later stage where I had a sense of "liking"" them, something Pure O sufferers often see a a sign of a change in them towards what they fear (they are not turning into their fears). This is just changes in the associations in the subconscious, the messy wiring.

My advice to you would be not to read into this, ackowledge it as a stage and accept it, but don't dwell on it (I know thats hard, especially since thats exactly what this form is aimed at) and concentrate on recovery which will make the changes you need.

And remember...those philisophers lived in times where they didn't have all the help & knowledge have, just like how physical medicine can help people now that would have died back then.

Re: To anyone with pure o, is this normal?:(

Hey there buddy, its completley normal. Thinking about over a certain subject all the time is extremely tiering. The good news are, your mind is tiered not your body so a good way to change how you been feeling and how to distract yourself could be to make some excercise (ot works wonders). And about nihilism, maybe watch the movie "The big lebowski" you will laugh a little bit and have a different view on them

Thread Information