Thread: Having a wobble

Having a wobble

So I still haven't upped my dose of effexor. I know my anxiety has reduced significantly but I'm still worrying about things.

Spoke to the GP yesterday and she wants me to up my dose to 75mg she thinks if the 37.5mg has helped the anxiety by upping the dose I can only feel better. She also thinks as I've been at the lower dose for a few weeks it should be relatively straightforward to just step up with minimal side effects.

My concerns are I've noticed since taking effexor I've started to bruise a bit easier. Nothing major and most of them are tiny bruises about the size of a 5p. I know how I've got them so they aren't unexplained but I only have to bang my leg or arm and I get a small bruise, I know it's a side effect but as Leukemia is one of my big fears this isn't helping and I'm worrying that by increasing the dose this will get worse.

My other concern is I've been getting headaches. Again not crippling headaches and they occur towards the end of the day which makes me think tension but I'm worrying that they might get worse with a dose increase.

I know no one can tell me what to do but Dr has only prescribed 75mg now and so I guess I just have to do it. Feel quite anxious about it, worried the bruising will get really bad and will send me into a tailspin.

Re: Having a wobble

Munchlet, have you been taking supplements by any chance, or eating a bit differently? I have had a spate of small bruises myself lately, and now realize it may be linked to some new dietary supplements I've been trying. They have eased off now. I have been on Effexor for well over a year now, and haven't been plagued by bruising, so I would honestly advise you to go ahead with doctor's orders and try not to worry about it. Slow and steady wins the race now, take the time to get settled on 75 mg. You will know if and when it is time for another increase. Remember that all this anxiety is what it is meant to help with, and soldier on! Take some acetaminophen for the headaches, it won't hurt you.

By the way, the fact that you are able to be rational about these issues stands you in good stead for avoiding a tailspin. You've a good head on your shoulders, pal, trust it!

Re: Having a wobble

Hi Marie no I haven't been taking any supplements.

In fact I did wonder if I could be deficient in a few vitamins and minerals because I had a period of quite a few weeks where I was hardly eating and what I was eating wasn't particularly great. It's only been the last couple of weeks since starting Effexor my appetite has returned and I'm managing to eat fairly decently again.

I am going to try the 75mg I have read that quite a few people suffer from easy bruising with different types of anti-depressant/anxiety meds.

I have to say I noticed I bruised more easily on Escitalopram but was fine on Prozac so I am obviously sensitive to these types of meds.

I do find paracetamol take away the headaches so that's what I've been doing. I guess I'll take the 75mg and see what happens, if it starts getting really bad I'll call the doctor but I suppose it could also be a side effect which eases as your body gets used to the meds.

Will keep you posted.

Thread Information