Thread: I need to quit my job.

I need to quit my job.

Three years ago, I started working at my school's football games as a ticket taker/usher. The job wasn't always glamorous (it could be kind of boring) but I loved the team I was on and overall, it was a perfectly fine way to make money. I worked in the suites, so my job was socializing with the guests and making sure all their needs were met.

This year, though, I got assigned to a different team. I thought it would be the same basic job, just maybe outside in the standard seats. Turns out, I got put on the security staff. I have to work games other than football, and I am just downright awful at it. I had to do a little bit of security before, but I wasn't great at it and it wasn't a major part of the job so it was fine. I'm just not assertive enough - and on game days, everyone wants to pick a fight and will get angry when you tell them they can't bring their bad in or that their portable padded seat is too large for them to enter with.

I'm planning on leaving the job, but I just feel so awful about it. I know they can replace me very easily but I'm so disappointed in myself. I have another job, so I don't really need the money, but I keep thinking, "man, that little bit of extra income would be nice".

I'm also upset because I feel like a quitter, and I feel like if I can't be assertive and strong, I have no value and that I will fail at all future jobs because of it (even though I realize I'm getting better, and it hasn't effected any other job I've had - just this one).

Overall, I see that the pains and perils of the job aren't worth it, but how do I shake this feeling of disappointment in myself? I feel like such a failure.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: I need to quit my job.

You are not a failure at all. You simply did not like the job - that is not a crime. You may feel bad for a few days, but throw yourself into your new job to take your mind off it. People leave jobs all the time x

Don't be so hard on yourself. What would you say to me if I told you this story? I'm sure you wouldn't tell me I'm a quitter or a failure.
    Everything in life has its moment and this job has run its course.
    Good luck with your other one x

Thanks. I feel a little better overall, I'm still upset on missing out on the money but in the long run I don't think it's worth the stress for the pay.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

There's more to life than money. I work from home and I worked all hours of the day until this "illness" hit me - I couldn't work and was making myself feel terrible that I wasn't earning money. Now, I don't care (well maybe a tiny bit). I need to get myself back on track and feeling 100% - my health and happiness is more important x

Thread Information