Thread: Liver enzymes elevated

Liver enzymes elevated

I clearly have health anxiety, and I won't deny it. It started about 6 years ago when I thought I was having a heart attack (ended up going to the emergency room). Thankfully that's the only time I have had a full fledged panic attack. Then a few years later I for Bell's Palsy, and was convinced it was MS or Mysthenia Gravis (my grandfather died from this). It wasn't. Then I was convinced due to muscle twitching that I had ALS. Ended up seeing neurologist. I still twitch.....I don't have ALS.

My newest obsession is liver disease. My liver enzymes have been abnormal for almost 3 years, but my dr. never told me until February, when I started having issues with gall bladder. my ALT had risen to 68, and my bilirubin was 1.6 (normal is 1.2). He blew it off, had an ultrasound for my gall bladder and was found to have mild fatty liver. Had gall bladder out, and was retested in April. I lost 25lbs by then. My ALT was down to 46 (normal is 44), but bilirubin was still 1.6. Again dr. blew it off said I had Gilbert's syndrome and that was causing elevated bilirubin. He didn't care about the ALT.

I was drinking about 10-12 alcoholic drinks per week (spread out over the week, but admittedly Saturday's would be the heaviest day 3-4 on that day alone). I have now cut back to around 2-4 drinks per week. However I am terrified to even go get the test. What if it comes back still showing elevated enzymes. I enjoy having a glass or two of wine on the weekends, but of course I don't want to kill myself. I haven't lost any more weight since April, in fact I have gained 2 lbs, but have remained mostly stable in the time (I was 217lbs, currenlty weigh 192, and I am 5'11" and 36 years old). It is time to go back and be tested, but I am afraid to call the doctor. I am also hypothyroid. I take synthroid, and I need to have that tested to get my meds renewed. Hoping some others can tell me to calm down, and that these enzyme numbers are no big deal, and that many people have this, and it never creates a health problem. It is beginning to consume my life.
    Last edited by dad1978; 08-09-15 at 13:38.

Re: Liver enzymes elevated

Hello

The increase in your levels is not enough to cause your doctor any concern. The "normal" figures are a guideline range only. You've done the right thing reducing your alcohol intake. You should have no problem with your next series off tests going from the history you have given us.

Good luck with them.

I think what bother me the most is they have been elevated since 2012 and they never told me. However the ALT being at 46 is the lowest it has been since then. The highest when it was 68 before my gall bladder removal. And again I have lost quite a bit of weight. So I think that is helping the numbers. Just scared about liver disease, and I tend to fixate on things.....obviously.

Well I called to schedule the appointment and it is next Thusday at 7am. They are actually only checking thyroid. Said there was no need to check anything else, as long as I feel ok, which I do. So I guess I am good to go.....I hope.

Of course every other time they have run my thyroid they also ran liver enzymes.

My Alt is over 200 .

I need to stop drinking or i will be dead within 5 years ...so i,m told .

Drastically cutting down and getting help .

The liver is a fantastic organ that can mend itself , i,ve been told if i have 2 days off a week and 3 pints for the other 5 days within 6 months i will drastically improve .

Need to pack in completely really .

Now the anxiety is under control and the depression lifting i WILL NOT drink in October .

Hey dad1978,

I've had crazy stuff that I thought was my heart. I have had some scares. My bilirubin is also 1.6.

I was also freaked when I found out mine was at 1.6 because of the ranges the have when they do those liver enzymes test.

From what I understand : 0.3 to 1.9 mg/dL total bilirubin is normal. Children have it to
    : 0.3 to 1.2 mg/dl as a normal range.

Not to sound special here, but I assume you are a father. I am too. Most of my anxiety came after my first child.

Thread Information