Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering Lyrica

Considering Lyrica

I was recently an inpatient at a psych hospital after a pain episode which resulted in pure anxiety. I was prescribed Paxoretine, Zispin and Trieptal (U.S).

Trieptal was the one that relieved pain, however, one morning while I was on vacation, I awoke to find myself covered in hives. Since I usually have always taken Paxoretine, and Zispin in my past history. I eliminated Trieptal after the hives episode and the hives have gone away.

However, my pain is back and well, so is my anxiety. How are people's experiences on Lyrica? I am curious because it is one of my options as an anti-pain medication, and helps nerve related pain.

Thanks!

Elisa (Consider)
    Diagnosis: ADHD (Combined Type) with GAD. Had Post Concussive Syndrome, as well as Occipital Neuralgia and IBS. Recovered from PCS in May 2013. Diagnosed with a kidney disease called Gitelman Syndrome in November 2015.

On natural remedies currently.

L-tryptophan and magnesium glycinate

Also taking: potassium chloride er

Re: Considering Lyrica

I find Lyrica very effective for nerve pain.I tak75mg at night, whch isn't a large dosage, though it tends to give me a very dry mouth and makes one hungry.
    Last edited by ricardo; 11-09-15 at 21:03.

Hi Elisa,

Can you definitely say the hives were due to Trieptal? You were on vacation, which may have meant different stimuli of all sorts.

Nevertheless, pregabalin is worth a try for combined pain and anxiety. Note that it is only for certain varieties of nerve pain, not all pain, but your doctors would be aware of that. Good luck if you give it a try.

Definitely. I was using same detergent, same soap for bathing and everything was not out of the ordinary. Last time I had a reaction, it was also due to an medication, an antibiotic. Symptoms were very similar, I just react to certain medications, so I am not too worried, just kinda annoyed because it was working for me!

Relieving nerve pain is really what I am looking for as well as an anxiety reliever, I wake up to anxiety now, very scary! I use DBT coping skills but sometimes it just isn't enough. My psych appointment is in 11 days, so I will pull through. But until then, this is what I have to go through.
    Last edited by Consider; 11-09-15 at 20:53. Reason: Had to correct a mistake in typing.
    Diagnosis: ADHD (Combined Type) with GAD. Had Post Concussive Syndrome, as well as Occipital Neuralgia and IBS. Recovered from PCS in May 2013. Diagnosed with a kidney disease called Gitelman Syndrome in November 2015.

On natural remedies currently.

L-tryptophan and magnesium glycinate

Also taking: potassium chloride er

Hello Consider,

As Pregabalin can be used for both nerve pain and anxiety, I would have thought that for someone who suffered from both it could be very useful indeed.

Everyone is different, but it would appear that there are - generally - fewer side-effects (especially at the start) from Pregabalin than for older medicines that are in the same area. I think from what you describe it is worth considering.

Good luck!

Albert

Iv recently been prescribed pregablin for anxiety, (300mg per day ).only been on this dose about 10 days and the only side effects Iv noticed is the ' stoned' feeling but I was on diazapam with it but that has now been taken off me. Iv noticed blurry vision now and then and Iv recently start red having involuntary body jerks ! What's that all about ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lan69 View Post
    Iv recently been prescribed pregablin for anxiety, (300mg per day ).only been on this dose about 10 days and the only side effects Iv noticed is the ' stoned' feeling but I was on diazapam with it but that has now been taken off me. Iv noticed blurry vision now and then and Iv recently start red having involuntary body jerks ! What's that all about ?

300mg a day to start off with, is quite a heavy dose and I presume you have tapered off the diazapam.

Blurred vision is a side effect but I would keep a check on that if it doesn't go away.

I was started on 150mg for a week then upped to 300mg. I was tapered down from the diazapam from 10mg to 6mg and then down to 3mg. I was only on it while I was in hospital then it was reduced when I was discharged.

Hi Lan,

The body jerks are more likely to be a side effect of mirtazapine, which I think you are also taking. They can come and go, so hopefully will subside.

My wife is on 150mg (75/2xday) for pain and hasn't had any side effects.
    She says it lessens the nerve pain but doesn't stop it completely.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information