Thread: Worried about getting skin cancer

Exclamation Worried about getting skin cancer

Hi. It is now early spring in Australia and it is now 20 degrees Celsius. The other day my class went to a trip to the zoo, and the weather was perfect, but I then became worried about exposing myself to skin cancer as I was not wearing a hat or sunscreen. Some teachers reassured me that it didn't matter. However, I am now planning to walk to the gym which is just 3 minutes from my house, and the UV according to the Bureau of Meteorology website is now within moderate range, which is where some sun protection is recommended. However, I am worried that if I decided to put on sunscreen either now in in future similar situations I would look like a laughing stock for doing it apparently unnecessarily. I am also worried that I may have already damaged cells and that I will eventually get skin cancer. My parents observe sun protection in hot weather, but I don't think they will listen when (if) I show them that the Bureau says that heat is not an indicatior of UV and that I should be using sun protection. I know that they are bound to dismiss it as being another health obsession. Am I overreacting, or are my concerns justified?
    Regards, Peterthegreatworrier.

Re: Worried about getting skin cancer

If putting sunscreen on makes you feel better, what harm are you doing. Buy a moisturiser with a protection factor in for the cooler months. Protecting your skin is important, not only for the worst case scenario, but it will protect against sun damage and premature aging.
    You do what's right for you, in 10 years time they may wished they'd done more to protect their skin.
    In the UK, 20degrees is like a summer day and I would protect both me and kids with a factor 30.
    X

Thread Information