Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what animal would you suggest?

what animal would you suggest?

question:

what animal would you suggest to someone who wants a pet, but may not be able to give it a lot of time/ attention?

was reading somewhere about getting a pet (actually on this forum) and it sounds like a great idea

i just forget to look after myself sometimes and i'm worried that would happen if i got a pet

but their must be some pets out their that i could think about

suggestions?

Re: what animal would you suggest?

Any animal kept in captivity requires time and attention -- feeding, grooming, bed cleaning etc. and costs for vets fees and injections.

A cat might be more independent if it can get in and out for itself, but it still requires all the above care. Also, a cat may stray if it is not receiving the care it needs.

What is it that you hope to gain by having a pet?

All need fresh water / food everyday .....thinking maybe hamster / house guinea pig quite easy to keep .

Good thing is the feeding / water bottles you top up daily but if you forgot for a day or so there is still plenty in there , and a clean once a week .

Some are best in pairs / groups so they give each other company , the more you handle them the tamer they become .

Some info here...

http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwel...nts/guineapigs

It gives you a good feeling and a purpose to look after a pet go for it !

Quote Originally Posted by 23tana View Post
    Any animal kept in captivity requires time and attention -- feeding, grooming, bed cleaning etc. and costs for vets fees and injections.

A cat might be more independent if it can get in and out for itself, but it still requires all the above care. Also, a cat may stray if it is not receiving the care it needs.

What is it that you hope to gain by having a pet?

hi,
    that's true.

i'm not saying i can't look after an animal, just that i can't give lots of time to it

so for example, it's no good me owning a horse- because i have to groom it every day, ride it, feed it, build it a stable.. if it's a pet that requires maybe looking after once a day i can handle that

i guess i'm after a pet that will give me companionship (i live alone), is active- i don't want a pet that's just gonna sit in it's cage and do nothing, and something that is nice to look at (you know, when i need something positive to look at to calm down)

maybe it would be a good idea if the pet in question was small. i've not exactly got a mantion to put it in (lol)

I answered on your other thread before realizing you started this ... my cat is very low maintenance and independent. I just feed her, give her water, and scoop the litterbox every day. She basically takes care of herself with grooming, etc. We have toys for her and she comes to me when she wants to snuggle. But very easy to take care of and is fine if I am out for the day for work.

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

For example - she is just chilling out next to me while I surf the net or watch TV. Nice companionship to have.

Quote Originally Posted by swgrl09 View Post
    I answered on your other thread before realizing you started this ... my cat is very low maintenance and independent. I just feed her, give her water, and scoop the litterbox every day. She basically takes care of herself with grooming, etc. We have toys for her and she comes to me when she wants to snuggle. But very easy to take care of and is fine if I am out for the day for work.

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

For example - she is just chilling out next to me while I surf the net or watch TV. Nice companionship to have.

thanks.

from what i've read, i honestly think that a cat might be the way to go

I would always say a dog and certain breeds are more people friendly than others, but that's not suitable in your case and reading the above swgrl09 seems to have got it right with a cat.

Before getting involved with rescue dogs we had siamese cats, the males actually act a lot like dogs, but they are quite expensive to buy and their favourite food are prawns.

Hi,
    I agree with the cat option. I just got a mother and her kitten from a rescue centre. If you do decide to go ahead please go to a rescue centre and adopt- either a kitten or an older cat. There are sooo many kittens and cats who are abandoned now who need homes, it's such a lovely feeling as well to know you're giving a good home to an animal.
    Cats are good for your mental health cos their purrs are stress relieving and when you pet them, feel good hormones are released.
    SO find your local shelter through google, go visit and fall in love with the gorgeous kitties!
    X

Quote Originally Posted by vicky23 View Post
    Hi,
    I agree with the cat option. I just got a mother and her kitten from a rescue centre. If you do decide to go ahead please go to a rescue centre and adopt- either a kitten or an older cat. There are sooo many kittens and cats who are abandoned now who need homes, it's such a lovely feeling as well to know you're giving a good home to an animal.
    Cats are good for your mental health cos their purrs are stress relieving and when you pet them, feel good hormones are released.
    SO find your local shelter through google, go visit and fall in love with the gorgeous kitties!
    X

hello vicky23,

sorry for the late response (i noticed this was posted early evening yesterday, and i've only just got on)

anyway, what you suggest about adopting a pet is a great idea. it would make you feel good

i'm seeing the adverts all the time.. thousands of adopted cats and dogs seeking homes- will you be that person who gives them a home?

also the programme recently on ITV.. give a pet a home, only goes with what you were saying. so many out their

you've also given me an idea- have anyone on here adopted other animals?. for example, you get the adverts- adopt 1 of the few remaining tigers and get special updates, adopt a dolphin, adopt a donkey- i know that's only writing and updates, but maybe it's something to think about. especially if i'm worried about not being able to provide a pet a proper home.

Years ago I adopted a baby elephant. I got pictures and write-ups regularly and really felt part of it's life. It was good to know I was helping protect an endangered animal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information