Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OCD - Fear of being drugged or poisoned

OCD - Fear of being drugged or poisoned

I have had anxiety issues all my life and I was diagnosed with OCD when I was younger and back then it was a fear of contamination but with germs that time and I managed to get over the majority of it and in between then and now I have been diagnosed with GAD, panic disorder and agoraphobia. These 3 things for the most part are manageable now. They still play a part in my life every day but nowhere as much as OCD. So this summer, my stress levels were at an all time high and I noticed some old familiar feelings and thoughts came back which was ultimately OCD.

It all started when I was reading something about snake venom for a uni report on my phone and I was lying there happily reading it then suddenly this intrusive thought of "imagine if the venom from that snake could be transferred through the phone into you! You're dying!" and I knew 100% that was absolute crap and impossible but I couldn't shake off the thought and there was me back to my old self of running to the toilet and scrubbing my hands and wiping my phone all over. That made me feel better but not completely. I hoped it was just an once off incident because of stress and I hadn't been sleeping well but it developed into a daily habit which now affects my life severely.

My main worry is being drugged or poisoned. I think these scare me so much as I have a fear of losing control and also a fear of vomiting. Its affected my eating habits. I have lost a stone in the past month and anything I eat, I am convinced somewhere in my mind that it is poisoned or laced. i have never done any drugs in my life other than drink every now and again and I done weed once when I was 16 and it made me panicky so I stayed away ever since. I wont try new foods. We recently went to Asda for our shopping instead of the usual Tesco and we got a lot of things we buy at Tesco but we got the Asda version and one night we ate the chicken kievs from Asda and I usually eat them no bother from Tesco but I only ate 2 bites from it and for an hour afterwards I sat in panic mode waiting for the 'drugged or poisoning' symptoms to kick in. obviously they never did. I also have a fear that I am going to take an allergic reaction to food even though I never have. Anything I eat, whether I have ate a million times before in the past or not, I sit in panic for the first mins to see if I take a severe reaction.

Its not just food this fear has clung to, its also with things like clothes and soaps. Here's two examples. My mum came back from a trip from England 2 days ago and brought me back some lovely smelling soaps and I used one while in the bath yesterday and all I could think was it was laced with acid or something and I would start tripping which I know is absolutely bonkers. Another ones was a few weeks ago I noticed a white patch on my grey jeans, I knew it was the denim fading but my mind kept saying "no its cocaine!" and again, I knew it was utterly stupid and I have washed them 4 times since and I still wont wear them. Another one with clothes is my gran got me some t shirts from the charity shop and usually I wash clothes when I get them from there anyway, but even after I washed these tees, I couldn't get the "the patterns are actually laced with LSD" or something thoughts out my head and to try shut my mind up, I rubbed my hand all over the t shirt and told myself that if I am fine in an hour, this crazy thought has to stop. I am currently wearing the t shirt at the moment.

I know how crazy and silly it all sounds. I feel ashamed even though I know I shouldn't. I haven't spoke to my mum and partner about the true extent of how bad its getting and I am worried I have something more sinister like schizophrenia and not OCD. I am too scared to go back to my doctor as its hard enough writing all this down for you to read, let alone say it. I've also been in and out the docs with anxiety issues, I don't want them to think I am taking the mick. I can't afford private counselling so i really don't know what to do anymore.
    Last edited by GingerFish; 13-09-15 at 21:06.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Re: OCD - Fear of being drugged or poisoned

Hey gingerfish,

Regarding something more sinister I would say no, I have that fear too and the mere action of you getting in here thinking rationally and analizing every single thing you have done and said is proof enough it is not schizophrenia or something else. You are not divorce from reality but really scared of in some weird scenario loosing touch with it.

Also you are fully aware that your behavior is not "valid" and its silly, so take a deep breath and be happy cause it is not what you fear, what it really is, is OCD as you put it. I have no recent experience with contamination but MyNameIsTerry does and its an expert on the subject, maybe you could try asking him for some ninja techniques on how to overcome such behaviors.

You should avoid those feelings of shame and guilt cause there is no reason for you to feel that way, doctors are there to help you overcome this and you have the forum also with many nice people there to give you advice or just listen to you.

When I was a kid I used to wash my hands all the time cause I thought they were dirty, I realized it was a weird behaviour so I decided to stop, anytime I had this need to clean them up I would just not do it. Maybe getting distracted with another thing or doing some small deep breathing techinques might help you out there.

Many Blessings !

Thanks so much for your reply. It has made me feel so much better already. This is the first time I have wrote about how badly its getting to me so I feel like a weight has been lifted. I felt like I had to write it and get it all out in the open so I could accept it myself and not run away and be in denial like I have been for so long over this.

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Hey GingerFish,

Thats what the forum is all about, we who we struggle with anxiety need some advice every now and then or someone telling us, hey you are ok everything is fine.
    Writing helps take the load off the brain so keep on doing it.

Many Blessings !

All I can say is OMG... I have this exact same thing! I have been struggling with this for some time amongst other things. I have been petrified to put it on here for fear of someone telling me I had something worse than ocd going on. I can't believe how some of your thoughts are exactly like mine. I haven't come across anyone with this specific fear and that made it so much more scary! I am so sorry you are struggling with this. I know exactly how you feel but I am so glad you posted this because I know I'm not alone. Please know that you are not either

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldagirl View Post
    All I can say is OMG... I have this exact same thing! I have been struggling with this for some time amongst other things. I have been petrified to put it on here for fear of someone telling me I had something worse than ocd going on. I can't believe how some of your thoughts are exactly like mine. I haven't come across anyone with this specific fear and that made it so much more scary! I am so sorry you are struggling with this. I know exactly how you feel but I am so glad you posted this because I know I'm not alone. Please know that you are not either
    Sorry to hear you are suffering from the same kind of OCD. Its terrifying and very draining. The worst part is knowing 100% what you are thinking is false and far fetched but still not being able to stop it. Its like your mind becomes possessed or something and you have no control. When I googled my symptoms, the fear of being drugged or poisoned seems to be quite a common form of OCD but OCD isn't a condition that gets talked about a lot so its very hard to find someone who feels the exact same way you do.

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 ----------

I am feeling a bit better today and I have more fighting spirit in me than I have had for the last few days. I was thinking of something that might help. When I had panic attacks really badly, I became agoraphobic and was housebound for 6 months at the age of 20. This left me to quit college and is the reason why I chose to study with OU after that as I didn't want to give up my education entirely. I made what I called a 'challenge chart' and I made a list of things I was scared to do such going out my front door, going into town, visit people etc and I made myself do each thing multiple times and I scored how difficult it was. The first time was always the worst - 9/10 usually and each time I done it again, the score got lower and lower until the activity I was once scared of become normal and I had little to no fear about doing that thing any more. That got me out of being housebound, back on public transport again, back into town etc. I was wondering if the same kind of thing could be used for OCD? Say I make a list with all the fear such as wearing those jeans, trying a food I have never tried before. Would that be a good start at trying to control my OCD?

Dr Claire Weekes.

Hey ginger!

Im so happy you are doing better and I also think your idea might be of great help to you or others. Im a great supporter that if something scares you, you should do that, but thats just me and it doesnt work that way for everyone.
    If it helped in the past, it may help you now.

Curious fact Emma watson was agoraphobic due to OCD and look at her she did fine :lol:

Many blessings !

Oh I didn't know that about Emma Watson! That's really impressive

I'll make a start to my chart today and let you know how I get on. I opened up to my mum about OCD today. She was supportive but said herself she doesn't really know much about it so will read up on it.

Dr Claire Weekes.

I'm not sure how long you have been dealing with this fear but I can say that forcing yourself to do the exact thing that scares you is the only way to fix this. So yes doing the things you mentioned will help you. It's difficult but it will get easier.

I still struggle with this but am making steady progress with this fear. I was at a point where I would hardly eat or drink anything. I lost a lot of weight and had so many ocd themes I don't know how I pulled through. I still have trouble and have certain things and places I can't bring myself to face but I am so much better than I was. This will pass. I have had other ocd themes that have passed and do not bother me at all now. I just keep telling myself that this will soon be one of them.

I've been dealing with it on and off since I was a child but this summer has been the worst flare up of it yet.

Yesterday I had a good day in terms of exposure. I went out and wore those jeans and that top and in panicked a few times while out but when I thought to why I was panicking, it wasn't because I was wearing them, it was because I went to Tesco and it was absolutely mobbed and crowds always get to me no matter what I wear so that was kind of a relief that I was panicking over something 'normal' and not those clothes. I also went out and bought some food I hadn't tried before and ate it and no reaction though I did still sit there in panic mode for 5 mins to see.

Dr Claire Weekes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information