Thread: i'm obsessed with theme parks

i'm obsessed with theme parks

yep.

the subject says it all.

i'm obsessed with every day, going online and checking queue times for theme parks around the world, noting down the queue times, which rides are closed, and when they are likely to reopen.

this for me is sometimes multiple times a day

for example.. if you asked me to describe walt disney world, i could. ride by ride, land by land, and i've never even been their!. (it's stupid!)

here's why it's a concern of mine:

1. it makes me feel more guilty.. here i am, can't get out of my house, and here are all these people enjoying themselves- and i get caught in a kind of guilt vortex (which is bad enough without actually looking at people enjoying themselves)

2. even if i was able to get out, the chances of me going to an amusement park are slim... you would never catch me on a ride- never. i've seen them and the thought scares me no end

and 3. i really don't think it's mormal to be obsessed with amusement parks. bird watching is diffrent (or train spotting, or something like that) but it's hardly going to help me in the future having a virtual map in my head of every single park i've looked at.

so yeah. i don't know why i do it, or how i started it. but that's how it is

Re: i'm obsessed with theme parks

It's an interest and you're not harming anyone by being interested in theme parks..i wouldn't analyse yourself too much over this. Just use this distraction to distance yourself from other troublesome thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    It's an interest and you're not harming anyone by being interested in theme parks..i wouldn't analyse yourself too much over this. Just use this distraction to distance yourself from other troublesome thoughts?

perhaps
    it's myself i'm hurting by being overly obsessed with theme parks, because i overlook the really important stuff

for example, for me, the most important thing for me at this second, is finding out how many people turned up today to the epcot centre. that for me, is the most important thing at this second. to most, that's so trivial.. especially if you're not going their

I don't think birdwatching or trainspotting helps in the future either. I don't think that is the issue.
    I think if this was an interest or a hobby it would be just fine, quite original actually...but, it's the fact that you do it obsessively that is the problem.
    And it must be a problem because you are writing to say you are concerned about it.
    People who are obsessive (like myself) just seem to go from one obsession to the next. So, if you stopped obsessing about theme parks you would probably go onto something else.
    Do you have a lot if spare time? Xxx

Quote Originally Posted by sial72 View Post
    I don't think birdwatching or trainspotting helps in the future either. I don't think that is the issue.
    I think if this was an interest or a hobby it would be just fine, quite original actually...but, it's the fact that you do it obsessively that is the problem.
    And it must be a problem because you are writing to say you are concerned about it.
    People who are obsessive (like myself) just seem to go from one obsession to the next. So, if you stopped obsessing about theme parks you would probably go onto something else.
    Do you have a lot if spare time? Xxx

lol.

i was using bird watching and train spotting as some sort of example, i don't actually do them. lol. both require me to be outside... no no no

and yes, i do!. in fact- not vbeing able to work gives me plenty of time

x

I have always found bird and train watching a very strange passtime lol, but each to their own, my passtime is obsessively thinking how I would alter my bathroom if I could afford it, so go figure lol
    Anyway, I ask about the spare time because I have a very active mind, when I have been working and generally busy I am fine but when for whatever reason I haven't then I begin with obsessions, it is as if I have to fill my mind with things.
    My mother would always say, you need to use your brain for something useful, study something. I am 42 and still haven't got a clue what I would like to study, I like everything and nothing.
    Anything you would like to study? Other than theme park management lol

What keeps it going, Emily? What are you afraid may happen if you don't make the checks? Do you know or it is an unknown outcome but you feel you still have to do it?

Breaking routines nis very helpful with obsessive thinking, literally putting things out of easy reach and then picking up activities that will keep you busy for a while. This can clear your mind out of the obsession and help you to see that you don't need it.

The guilt after doing it doing it is certainly something I can identify with as I have this with my OCD compulsions.

Can I ask, is this triggered by anything to do with your bipolar? Or is it all the time regardless of any form of swing and do the swings make it worse? (especially the mania)

Thread Information