Thread: Anxiety when eating?

Anxiety when eating?

I get anxious when I am eating, for the last few days I have not struggling to eat my dinners and lunch, I can't eat at the same speed as I use to and sometimes can't eat very much...but later I manage to have something, is this normal?

I experienced this about a month ago and it all got better and I thought the problem had gone...so is this normal to not eat much through anxiety?

I have been worrying about going mad and that my manic depression could come back...and I think this has had an effect, can anybody offer any help, like ways I can feel better...I found in the past I forgot about it and it seemed to help but when I go through this phase I can't seem to get out of it...

Phil

See if any of this helps...

Nausea or abdominal stress or the thought of eating makes you nauseous

What you feel:

You may feel bloated or gaseous, or that there is a lump in your stomach. Sometimes you may feel like you have butterflies in your stomach or that your stomach is tight. Some people refer to it as a 'heavy' stomach. Others experience over acidity or persistent nausea. Sometimes even the thought of eating something will make you nauseous.

What causes this:

High stress biology produces extra stomach acid, digestive juices and stomach muscle action or tension in order to quickly digest and eliminate food in the digestive system. This helps to prepare the body for immediate action. When high stress biology is maintained throughout the day, the build up of stomach acid and muscle tension produces an excess of stomach acid which then irritates the stomach and causes indigestion, bloating, diarrhea, and so on.

Eating smaller more frequent meals will help to reduce this symptom, as well as eating blander non-spicy foods. Using ant-acids, stomach remedies and drinking plenty of water will also help. However, the best remedy is rest, although symptom relief is not immediate.

As with all symptoms, when the nervous system gets sufficient rest, this symptom will diminish and eventually subside.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Hi Phil - I suffer with this. I tend to eat little but often as the feeling of being full sometimes makes me feel sick.

And sometimes I chill when eating e.g. eat when I am reading/listening to the radio or on the P.C. Not good table manners but sometimes it helps take the worry away.

Ok thanks for the replies.

Thread Information