Thread: Throat cancer terrified.

Throat cancer terrified.

Hello to everyone. I just joined this sight. I've suffered from GAD most of my life and also health anxiety.

The issue I'm dealing with right now is the unbearable fear of throat cancer. For about 2 months I have had a sore throat on the left side and also a sort of "something stuck in my throat" feeling. It has gotten no better at all. About 3 weeks ago I went to my GP and he thought it was acid reflux. I've been on nexium since then with no relief. I also am having some major TMJ issues on the same side as my sore throat. I have an appointment with an ENT on tuesday and I'm terrified of what he'll find. I'm 33, I don't smoke or drink but I've dipped smokeless tobacco on and off for 8 years or so. I'm scared to death this is cancer.

Re: Throat cancer terrified.

If you have reflux that has actually burned your throat, it takes a long time for your throat to recover. You likely have a little bit of a throat ulcer. I have these a lot and it can be frightening when you let the thoughts take hold. Try gargling with an antiseptic throat medication. I certainly don't want to send you out there to Dr Google but somewhere there is a recipe for liquid ibuprofen, benadryl (I think) and Milk of Mag (I think). If you can find it, it helps. Salt water also helps. B-r-e-a-t-h! Its ok

Hi stressedalways did you go to the ENT appointment and how did you get on. I have been having lots of problems with my throat and iam thinking the same as you iam going back to the doctors on monday to see if he will send me to an ENT doctor

I'm an oral cancer survivor. While I'm not a doctor, what you describe is not indicative of oral cancer.

The ENT will affirm this I'm sure. The fact that your GP examined you and diagnosed reflux the fact you have TMJ and you're posting this on an anxiety forum indicates a high likelihood of symptoms as a result of anxiety disorder.

Let us know how you get on

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

The ENT look down my throat and said I have some type of polyp/sore (I forgot the term he used). It's from prolonged acid reflux. He said it's not cancerous or even precancerous. He said it takes a long time for them to go away. I have to keep the acid off of it and it will go away but they take a while to go away. He knew exactly what it was and says he sees them all the time. All my googling didn't bring me to that conclusion. That's why it's best to see a Dr. And trust his advice. And those of you that commented on this were correct. I thank you so much

Thread Information