Thread: Fluoxetine startup side effects

Fluoxetine startup side effects

Hello all. I have a nervous system illness which results in persistent nausea which I have had for 2 years. This has eventually resulted in depression and anxiety so I am on a journey desperately searching for a miracle through medication to relieve my symptoms. I have tried sertraline 50mg which I had an horrific reaction to (seratonin syndrome). Was then prescribed Trazadone which did nothing. Mirtazapine next which lifted my mood but did nothing for nausea. Anxiety appeared whilst on Mirtazapine so pregabalin was introduced which has had no effect. So after a difficult withdrawal from Mirtazapine I am now trying fluoxetine ( my idea as my mother has gained enormous benefit from it). Started low on 10mg and ok first week. Week 2 has been awful experience with strong nausea and flu like symptoms along with flushing of face. No appetite so struggling to eat. Resorted to diazepam which knocked me out. Do not feel anxious just very low. Anybody else started on 10mg and had bad startup side effects? My thought is if I can't tolerate 10 how can I possibly increase to the minimum therapeutic dose of 20mg? Any support is welcomed.

Re: Fluoxetine startup side effects

Hi, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time with your meds. I've been taking fluoxetine for erm 12 years, and I had difficulty when I first got put on it, I can still remember that I had headaches, nausea, sweats and hallucinations....give it a chance to get working, it accumulates slowly and you won't achieve the full effect until after about 5 weeks. Some people do not actually need 20 mg; 10mg or even 5mg have been effective in some cases (I read a research paper about it). If you had seratonin syndrome on only 50mg sertraline, I'm kind of surprised that a Dr has prescribed another SSRI for you, so keep any eye on your symptoms, if they get worse rather than better then see your doc. If you really can't tolerate 10mg, you can get a liquid form so that you could gradually taper on so you brain can slowly adjust.

Thanks for your reply. I have stopped taking fluoxetine as the side effects were becoming intolerable and approaching those experienced when on sertraline with flu like symptoms and nausea. My arms and legs were beginning to tremble, no appetite, strong nausea, legs and arms squirming with pain. I actually found myself rocking to try and ease the pain. I could not bring myself to take another dose and with the advice of my CPN I stopped without any taper. After only one month I did not expect and withdrawal symptoms but wow how w one was I. All of the above symptoms persist after stopping fluoxetine 7 days ago. I know it is still in my system as the half life can be up to 6 days but I am shocked how unwell this drug as made me feel. Focussing on the day that these awful symptoms ease. What I cannot understand is how my son who is 15 years old took to 100mg of sertraline without any side effects. Seems that my nervous system cannot tolerate AD drugs.

My doctor started me at 10mg of Prozac for the first 7 days then up it to 20mg. I am now on day 9 and I was wanting to know when these horrible side effects will go away. I am nauseated, tired, feel like I am in a fog, have some anxiety, just don't feel like myself. But everything I read said to give this medication a couple weeks but then I read that some it takes more like a month or two to start feeling better. I am not sure I can handle these side effects for that long. Is this normal feelings that I am getting??

umm... i'm sorry but as simple as it sounds... maybe it would be a good idea on starting with other drug??

Thread Information