Thread: Do I need to get off my backside

Do I need to get off my backside

Hi I'v been on 20 mg citalopram now since the start of January, I went through the side effects during this time some how managed to keep work going, as a Caretaker, so it was easy to hide when needed too. However lost my job mid august, which pushed my mood down and caused a few anxiety attacks which have reduced in severity, but still little bouts.
    Now I start a new job on wednesday as a carpenter, and concerned of how to deal with depressive moods and anxiety attacks if they arise.

How do you folks deal with work, depression and anxiety

Thank you

Re: Do I need to get off my backside

Some days it's really hard, honestly. I have had depression on and off for probably longer than I realized and I have had anxiety since high school (am 27 now). I am currently doing well on lexapro, but still have my days where I feel depressed. I find it is easier to fight through it now though and have more good days than bad.

I struggle the most in the morning. I find if I do whatever I can to make my mornings easier and calmer, my day goes better. So I prepare my lunch, clothes, etc the night before. I take my time when I wake up and have time for a good breakfast. I have been trying to sleep better. When I get home, I do yoga to unwind and relax. I try to take the rough days one hour at a time.

Busy days are easier than slow for me because I am distracted and time goes by faster. After a while of pushing through, I learned that I can get through rough days and feel better at the end of the day if I do. It's not always easy, but I just kind of do it.

Hope that makes sense ... not really much advice though, but can empathize. It's tough to work and battle this. Some days I wish I didn't have to work at all, but then I realize I would get bored and feel unproductive. So it's a give and take, I guess.

Hi Bimble .....and welcome

Great post above from swgrl09 and its how i feel most days .

Just to add the WORST thing i ever did was sit around and mope , its really difficult to get out of bed some mornings and function but when i force myself the day gets better , good days lead to more good days and a full recovery .

Well done on getting back to work i wish you well you will be fine , there are far to many in the UK who could work but prefer life on benefits as the easy route and quite frankly bleed the country dry and take away from the pot what some other genuine family needs for support.

Best wishes

I definitely agree with you, Greenman50. Sitting around and moping has never really helped. Once in a while a mope day is alright, but I have to keep going or I'll get too down and lethargic.

You are doing really well, congratulations on getting another position and working! It's hard but rewarding and feels good.

Thanks guys, yes I feel that getting up and doing something will get my mood back up, Sitting around or pottering around the garden does not get me fired up, Im still on a go slow. And need life to have a bit of pace to it

Thanks again

Thread Information