Thread: Help I feel like I am going crazy!

Help I feel like I am going crazy!

Hi all

This is my first time on here! Right I will be as brief as possible …….. I was 28st and had a gastric bypass and weigh now 16st. I have always suffered with bad anxiety but the day this incident happened I felt fine as was for once, quite content with the world. The night prior, I felt rough and my heart rate was apx 100 – 140 but I calmed down and slept all night. The day after I felt ok, but slightly on edge ( I have huge health anxiety) so as my therapist advised, in times like these keep busy, so I went shopping. I felt awful my heart was racing and legs were trembling and my neck felt really hot. I went to A&E and my pulse was 150bpm and very high bp. The nurse was lovely and everything just calmed down and I felt fine within 30mins, my bloods and 2 ecgs were normal. BUT the consultant said that I should go for a 24hr heart monitor – I am SO scared, I go tomorrow, He said it could be a panic attack, Champix I was taking or a problem, possibly with my heart. I have felt fine physically since my A&E visit that was 10 days ago. Few minor but I think that’s in my head. BUT mentally I feel like I am going crazy – I am so scared that I am going to get bad news or drop dead. I can’t sleep or do anything as I am scared I could collapse – I feel like I am going crazy HELP!! Could it be a panic attack even if I wasn’t stressed at the time?

Thanks

Sara

Re: Help I feel like I am going crazy!

Hi Sara,

First up, congrats on the weight loss. I imagine you're feeling a lot better about yourself and have more energy!

Based on what you describe I'm 99.99% certain your symptoms are anxiety, or more specifically a panic attack. If you calmed down once you were told there's nothing bad going on, it's a panic attack.

Unfortunately, the fear of another panic attack can be as bad as a panic attack. The symptoms suck... but they won't kill you. Honestly, you have to just try and stay calm. Anxiety and panic cause SO many symptoms, and thinking about them more make them worse. Vicious cycle but if you can stay calm, you'll feel a lot better!

Probably everyone on here has had the same things happened to them and we're all still going strong. Try to find diversions if you feel a panic coming on, there's a lot of resources for panic attacks online, and speak with your Dr. about it too.

Good luck!

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Oh and to answer your question specifically - Yes it could absolutely be a random panic attack despite not feeling stressed at the time!

Thread Information