Thread: Mirtazapine for sleeping - need advice about stopping it please

Mirtazapine for sleeping - need advice about stopping it please

Hi

I really need some advice however thought it best to give you an idea of my circumstances. Around 9 weeks ago I had an inner ear disorder which I believe was the start of my anxiety (having never suffered before). More recently 2 weeks ago I flew home from Spain which caused problems with my ears once again, I first noticed symptoms of constant mind chatter just rubbish, then a few intrusive thoughts which I think were bought on by anxiety (this made me more anxious) trembling legs, dry heaving, just not feeling great in the mornings hence leading to a bigger problem with insomnia.

This led me to a GP appointment thinking perhaps I was depressed but just really desperate for sleep at night (as it had effected my eating to). GP gave me Zopiclone which worked the first night but not great the 2nd, then thought perhaps Mirtazapine would help.

I have for the past 12 nights taken a 15mg Mirtazapine however even on that I am not sleeping great, waking feeling a little anxious which is so unlike me. Hence I wish to stop the Mirtazapine, having only taken it for 2 weeks would I still need to reduce dose first? I know I may have issues with sleep still but I do at the moment anyway and realise that there are other ways to deal with this and if I do not need medication would rather stop early on than months down the line when it would be harder.

I know my question may sound a little petty with regards to how some of you guys feel at different times however I am now anxious about stopping the tablet. It seems a vicious circle at the moment.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Re: Mirtazapine for sleeping - need advice about stopping it please

Hi and welcome to NMP

Here are some useful guides to withdrawing meds:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvic...pressants.aspx

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s.../#.VQk6VdKsWSr

Rcpsych state based on research if treatment has lasted less than 8 weeks, stopping over 1-2 weeks should be OK

Did your anxiety start due to the infection though or due to the treatment? Strong courses of antibiotics have been known to cause anxiety due to them killing off the healthy gut flora along with infections so is that a consideration?

Don't worry about your issue seeming petty, it's irrelevant, anxiety is very unpleasant in it's many forms and people on here understand our worries can range from minor to major at times.

Hi

Thank you for your response. I think maybe the anxiety started at a low level at the beginning however it is strange that you mention antibiotics as I had been prescribed some 5 days before the onset of insomnia and higher level of anxiety. Just so unsure at the moment - 9 weeks ago I felt completely normal and now I am scared to take the Mirtazapine but also scared not to!

Then I would suggest you look into that because there is the possibility that restoring your healthy bacteria might help you out. I know another member on here who's anxiety started due to repeated antibiotics courses and I've seen other people talk about it in their reviews on places like Amazon when talking about probiotics they have started.

Being scared to take meds is a pretty common one for anxiety sufferers. Once you've been through some of the nasty side effects some can have, it just builds fears like that. I don't know much about Mirt but I would suggest you create another thread on the Mirt subboard of the Meds board as there are several very active (almost daily) members who will be able to help you understand what you should do. It could even mean you need an increase to get a better effect but I really wouldn't know with this one.

I've used Zopiclone for a month before. I found it was great the first week and then it lost it's effects a bit. After a month of daily use courtesy of my GP misadvising me on how to use it, I then had to wean off with a one day on one day off routine for a week or so which meant sleeping one night and then barely the next. It messed my sleep pattern up for months really so I would be wary of using that for long anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by anxious1980 View Post
    Hi

Thank you for your response. I think maybe the anxiety started at a low level at the beginning however it is strange that you mention antibiotics as I had been prescribed some 5 days before the onset of insomnia and higher level of anxiety. Just so unsure at the moment - 9 weeks ago I felt completely normal and now I am scared to take the Mirtazapine but also scared not to!
    My anxiety and insomnia started really strong following antibiotics. This happens to a lot of people who take Quinolone antibiotics (Cipro, Levofloxacin...)

Hi Anxious,

I would say the largest majority of people would have no problems stopping mirtazapine after two weeks at 15 mg. If you are worried, you could try breaking a tablet in half (if possible) for a few days before stopping.

Of course, symptoms of your original problem may resurface, and you would have to deal with that. With luck, it may be just a temporary thing, as you said you have not suffered from anxiety in the past.

Thanks guys for your help - I may well split the pill in half for a few days just incase of unwanted withdrawals.

Thread Information