Thread: upgrading to windows 10

upgrading to windows 10

hi all,

so i'm anxious that without warning, my computer's going to upgrade to windows 10 (windows 10 is not something i want, i'm happy with what i have)

this is because of something i heard... that microsoft are going to stop supporting other systems, and regardless of if you reserved a copy of windows 10 or not, all systems are going to upgrade (like it or not)
    is this true?

i thought if you wanted to get a windows upgrade you need to buy the system with that particular version on it

am i going to turn on my computer in a few days time and find that i've been upgraded to windows 10 and lost all my files?

uggg how can i prevent it from happening

x

Re: upgrading to windows 10

I hated Windows 8 so I went back to 7 and then upgraded to 10 a few weeks ago. As always, it's wise to back your files on an external drive or other storage system/medium which I did but all my files were totally fine and I like 10 a lot.

As far as the upgrade, you can tell it when you want it to upgrade or not at all. It's in the settings.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I hated Windows 8 so I went back to 7 and then upgraded to 10 a few weeks ago. As always, it's wise to back your files on an external drive or other storage system/medium which I did but all my files were totally fine and I like 10 a lot.

As far as the upgrade, you can tell it when you want it to upgrade or not at all. It's in the settings.

Positive thoughts

thanks for that post.

it's also nice to know that if i wanted too, i could "downgrade" (is that even a word?). what ever.. it is now

thanks for your response!

Hi Emily, I found the switch over very smooth. I had windows 7 and was very happy with it so was a bit dubious as to whether 10 would be an improvement. It downloaded and installed in very quick time and I'm very happy with it. Its a good functional system with a no fuss presentation

You have to choose to upgrade otherwise you remain on your current OS version. They are offering free upgrades under certain conditions but it's still a consumer choice.

The problem with Microsoft is when they release these products it can be at least six months before they iron out many of the glitches not found in the testing stages. Upgrading later usually makes for less instability.

You can always take a Disc Image of your current system and roll back to it or reinstall it completely as new anyway.

I down loaded windows 10 Sunday it took almost 9 hours.
    Blimey it looked great. Alas ,as I am not too good with computers it got me flumaxed.
    I have a radio interview downloaded on windows 7 that means a lot to me.
    It had gone . vanished ,on windows 10. Also overwhelming to ME.
    But it did look great. Save everything you can and you will be ok.
    It took 5 mins to return back to windows 7. so that was good

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    I down loaded windows 10 Sunday it took almost 9 hours.
    Blimey it looked great. Alas ,as I am not too good with computers it got me flumaxed.
    I have a radio interview downloaded on windows 7 that means a lot to me.
    It had gone . vanished ,on windows 10. Also overwhelming to ME.
    But it did look great. Save everything you can and you will be ok.
    It took 5 mins to return back to windows 7. so that was good
    Did you get your radio interview back, Magic? Did you just roll it back to the save point prior to the upgrade or something?

Hi Terry, As soon as I had windows 7 back the radio interview came back.
    I have tried to put it onto disc ,but it does not work on a normal cd player.
    I can get it up on music media on laptop with disc or without disc.
    I know one day I will never get it back but there are worse things that can happen
    I suppose. By the way Terry, went into town today. They had Crank 2 in stock ,but only in Bluray so that was a no no. The chap in there said that Crank 2 was the
    better film. We braced ourselves and went to the cinema to see Everest.
    I feel so disorientated . Don't know how to get back to earth.

Hi Magic,

If you can burn it to a CD rather than copy it as a file, it should play in a CD player (music always does anyway). If you are copying it over as a file, then if it was say a mp3 file, you would need a player that can play it. (the same goes for MPEG4, avi, WMP, etc) So, how did you try to do it?

Crank 2 is a bit more extreme than the first one but it does make you laugh as it's a bit daft. Was Everest any good?

Thread Information