Thread: Anxiety back after mole results

Anxiety back after mole results

I had two moles removed after severe HA about all my moles over the past year. I saw two different dermatologists and the second decided to remove two moles. One on my leg came back fine but the one on my back which was two colours came back with 'some changes' but no evidence of cancer. Now I'm freakish a bit. Yes it's not cancer which is what I should be concentrating on but what does 'changes' mean. I googled it which I suppose is not the same as googling something you only 'think' you have... So maybe this is a valid reason to google.

All I could find was people saying they had some moles removed that had changes before they were then diagnosed with melanoma in another mole later on. There are a few moles all over my body which I managed to stop panicking about but I didn't show my dermatologist them because my GP only referred me with two to be checked. As some of you will know, the NHS can be quite strict and he just said I'm only concentrating on these two, if you have any other concerns go back to your GP.

I'm worried now because I don't want any other moles to be changing without me realising. The one on my back was two colours but it had always been that way, even my mum said it didn't look any different to when I was a child. So here I am worrying about the others on my back and one on my stomach that is new as of a couple of years ago and looks a bit irregular.
    Do I go back to my GP? He knows I have HA and he is quite understanding but I don't want to be told it's just your HA... The first derm I was referred to last year said my mole was fine... And now I get the results saying there were changes in it. I think I've lost trust of some doctors after other medical problems in the past.
    I must stress that the derm who removed my moles said I don't need to go back to him and I have been discharged. I just feel like I want to see him again for him to check my other moles but that's just no how the NHS works. I have to go back to my GP.

I'm just at a loss. I had pre cancerous cervical cells removed last year and I'm just feeling like my body is a ticking time bomb. I'm only 25. I am getting CBT and although only early days, I do think it's helping but this news about my mole has pulled me back in to HA.
    Has anyone got any ideas about changes in moles? Or any advice at all?
    I am angry at myself for posting here again but this is all a bit too much now :(
    Thanks everyone

Re: Anxiety back after mole results

Hi hun, did you get a copy of lab report for mole? I've had the cell removal following a smear, I was told it was a precaution to remove and that they may or may not be precancerous cells.
    Personally, I'd go back to your gp for advice on mole care / checks. Get some sound advice on how to do this without it becoming an obsession, for example ask what safe timescales are for checking changes to moles, should you photograph them to look for changes etc.
    I know it's frustrating when you're not given all the info, but be comforted in the fact that they've checked those two, removed them and analysed them. You now know the process if you have any other worries.
    Xxx

Hi. I had a mole removed about 10 yrs ago as it was itchy. My GP removed it and when the results came back I had to go to dermatology who wanted to remove a wider area. They said there was no cancer but some changes. They weren't concerned at all and 10 yrs on I've had no other suspicious moles. I think if there are even very slight changes that may mean nothing the pathologist have to report this. I wouldn't worry, this is good news.

Thanks for your replies. I haven't had an official report, just a letter saying abnormal cells but no cancer I don't have to return. I know how bad it sounds that I'm making an issue out of this, I know so many people would give anything for the news that I have received. All over summer I was wishing I could have every mole off cos I was so worried. Now it's just this one on my stomach which has grown and has funny borders. If the one on my back that hadn't changed had funny cells, what will this one be?!
    I keep getting a pain in the area of the mole, I had this a few months back but now it's returned.
    I might go back to my GP tomorrow and explain my worries. Funnily enough I've had a cancelled cbt appointment this week and I really could've used the help.

I'm just rambling now but I'm scared I'm going to go back into pure panic and depression again :(

OK well I have had melanoma, so I think I can help you with this. Your news is very good news - it means your doctor is doing his/her job! Having a mole with cell changes doesn't even mean it is necessarily going to turn to melanoma anyway, there are other types of less deadly skin cancers. Melanoma is actually quite rare. Trust me, if that mole they removed from you was of any concern whatsoever - even melanoma in SITU (or pre-melanoma) - you'd be going back ASAP to have a lot more cut out.

The good news is you know you have had what they probably are calling an atypical mole. I would advise you to do mole mapping, if that is available with your dermatologist. It may cost extra, it does here in the US but I was happy to pay for that service. They take a picture of all your moles so when you go for your yearly check up they can detect any changes. Even if worst case scenario and they do notice changes, yearly check-ups and a good doctor are going to prevent it from getting to the deadly stage. Most melanomas and other skin cancers are caught in the early stage - it's when people ignore a bleeding mole that they get in trouble. Just keep up with your annual skin checks (or semi annual if you feel more comfortable, as a melanoma survivor I go every 6 months even though my doctor feels it's ok to come once a year). You are going to be ok. Feel lucky that you have a good doctor to check you over.

Also, regarding having all your moles cut out - I asked my doctor that very same question. He said that would be a very bad idea, because the mole is what helps them see any changes. Melanoma grows from deep in the tissue, and lobbing off the surface of the mole would not only be unnecessary, it would be dangerous. So think of your moles as warning signals that help your doctor evaluate any serious skin conditions.

Thread Information