Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quetiapine - anyone??

Quetiapine - anyone??

Hi, my therapist has put me on 25mg quetiapine a day for my anxiety due to an extreme phobia (emetaphobia) and I've taken it for two days but have read the withdrawal symptoms can cause sickness. Naturally iv decided I don't want to take them anymore. The therapist has said its such a small dose that it shudnt cause that on withdrawal but obvs there's no guarantees. I know he's going to be frustrated that I don't want to take it (my hubby is frustrated too) - but to me I don't want pills to be the answer and I feel i'll have to live without them eventually anyway. Just wondered what other people's experiences were of being on it/coming off it? And if anyone's had any problems??? Thanks in advance

Re: Quetiapine - anyone??

I have just started quetiapine the last few days (100mg x2)and I too am worried about taking them I very nearly didn't take any last night but I bit the bullet and took them. I've heard some good reports of this med so I'm willing to give it a good go to get better. If they don't work I shall taper off them with guidance off my psychiatrist. I've been to hell and back over the last 7 months with trying different meds but I'm praying that this is the one that helps me to function again .

Thanks for getting back to me. Fingers crossed the quetiapine helps u and u get on with it better than your previous meds

Quote Originally Posted by loz04 View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me. Fingers crossed the quetiapine helps u and u get on with it better than your previous meds
    Thank you
    So are you not going to be taking it ?

Smile Re: Quetiapine - anyone??

I'm meant to be, with the advice of my therapist but I can't bring myself to do it and then get hooked on it/have to go thru withdrawal. But I think it's coz I want to do it on my own - I managed it when I was 21 - I still had my phobia but I led a pretty normal life and I'd had cbt therapy. Im having that again but I think I'm finding it harder this time bcoz my phobia has evolved. But I just wanna try and handle it on my own and c how I get on. Therapist said Iv already tried that and that doesn't seem to be working. I had quite a big breakdown two wks ago and hit rock bottom and cudnt stop having massive panic attacks one after the other and was afraid to leave the house. My marriage has been on the rocks for over a year and I'm positive a lot of my mental health issues have been due to the immense stress of that - the breakdown followed another big argument with my hubby. I had felt like I was heading for some kind of breakdown for months and two wks ago I just snapped. But Iv very slowly felt like I'm piecing myself back together and I want to try and continue that progress on my own. Also started doing some 'mindfulness' meditation to c if that can help me too!
    I guess u just gotta do what's right for u and medication doesnt feel right for me. I'm happy to use quetiapine as and when needed if I'm panicking and can't calm down on my own, but I just don't want to use it everyday x

Can I ask why they chose quetiapine ? I'm on it due to other meds not working especially ssri's I had a hideous time with a couple of those. Had to be tapered off them and also diazapam but I managed and have been diazapam free for 3 weeks now I never thought I would do it they were my safety blanket.
    Only you can decide if you want medication for me I needed it as I was in a very bad place and I know when I'm settled on right medication I shall be on it for life and no doctor will be taking me off them I couldn't go back to that awful place again....
    Good luck with what ever decision you make and stick to your guns

Thanks I'm def gonna give it a good shot without the meds. I'm still on mirtazapine (for pnd) and I really want to come off them soon as the pnd isn't an issue anymore, just the anxiety. I want to make sure I'm stable mentally after my meltdown two wks ago and when I'm feeling ready I'm going to slowly come off the mirtazapine.
    The therapist chose quetiapine to treat the anxiety and take the edge off - I was on diazepam as and when needed but during my breakdown a couple of wks ago I was on it every day as I suffered one major panic attack after another and the therapist said I needed to switch to quetiapine due to the fact diazepam is highly addictive :-/
    Well done for getting off the diazepam!!

Don't rush things just take your time. I'm also on mirt and will stay on it for life if I have too I'm afraid I need the meds to function. I was put on pregablin before the quetiapine I'm surprised you weren't offered them first. Pregablin apparently acts on the same part of the brain as diazapam but it isn't supposed to be addictive.
    I think your a very strong lady and I'm sure you will come out of this awful illness.

Ah thank you so much - I need that kind of reassurance right now!! I hope the meds r helping u to feel better and that the quetiapine is more helpful than ur other meds. I honestly think we need to see ourselves as the strongest people - having to live with any mental illness is one of the toughest things as often it feels like there is no escape from it. The fact we keep going and keep fighting means we r made of strong stuff!!

Well they do say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger ! I know I am seeing this illness as a learning curve too and when im better I think I will be a different person because of it and see other people differently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information