Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My escitalopram diary

My escitalopram diary

Well after a year of trying different medications for my anxiety(sertraline, venlafaxine, duloxetine) some worked for a while but nothing lasting. I have been prescribed Escitalopram 10mg starting from tomorrow. I am off to the dr in a minute to collect my prescription, fingers crossed this is the one for me. I intend to take 2.5mg tomorrow just to test the waters with side effects etc. I am going to log my thoughts, side effects each day not only for my benefit but for anyone else starting out. To say I'm not scared would be lieing but I have to get myself better and I have done before so will do it again.

day 1 - 2.5mg

12.30pm - 2 hours after plucking up the courage to take my tablet 2.5mg of escitalopram - nothing yet! Maybe a bit sweaty and spacey but so far so good! Trying to keep myself busy so I don't dwell on the side effects. So I'm downloading all my Disneyland photos to Facebook to keep myself occupied. I'm going to try and take a walk everyday to get some fresh air and not sit at home starting at the walls! But this is only the first day at a minute dose so we shall see!

Well today has been okish, felt a bit down this afternoon which kicked in my intrusive thoughts��, but nothing really on the side effects front. I may even take 5mg tomorrow but will see what sort of night I have. So all in all a reasonable first day,even managed to go out to a rugby street party to see a band and fireworks.

Re: My escitalopram diary

Just popping in for a minute to wish you all the best. I did a diary on here, when I started as well, and found it very helpful.
    I'm three months on the Meds now, and can honestly say I had no bad side effects. I was very apprehensive starting out, because I was never on medication before, but once I decided to start, I just decided I was going to take them, and then forget about them, and go about as normal.
    I'm doing psychotherapy also, and I believe the combination of the two, is working well.

Anyway, just want to wish you all the best. It takes time, for them to kick in, and it's different for everyone, but I personally have never looked back since I started.
    Take care.

Day 2 -10mg

Thank you for your kind words Mavis xx

Had a good night sleep - although I do take Nytol every night at the beginning in case of insomnia. Took 5mg this morning about 9.30, then half hour later thought sod it and took the other half, need to get his anxiety sorted so better to get the full dose in my the system! Had a few issues with my intrusive thoughts around lunchtime too much ruminating but just need to remember that is just what they are and not what I really feel. No real side effects so far today, which is good.

Felt a bit jittery about 4.30, unite restless really as if I didn't want to sit still this seems to be when the tablets are at their peak, it lasted about 1 hour. After that I had a good evening - a few racing thoughts but nothing major, watched a film with my hubbie and daughter, ate loads of chocolate!

Tomorrow will be the test as I will be on my own all day as hubbie at work and daughter at school - got to try and keep busy!!

You are more than welcome, and well done.

Hope your day is going well. I agree, it's better to just take it, and forget about it, and keep busy. Equally important, be kind to yourself, so if you feel like sitting down, and relaxing do that, or whatever you want to do.

I was glancing back at my own diary there. The only side effect, I really noticed, was a lack of energy, at certain times of the day, usually late afternoon/ early evening. At the time, I was taking the medication in the morning.
    So I switched to taking the tablet in the evening, and that worked better, for me.
    For a while, I had an alarm set on my phone to remind me to take it. Now I just associate it with 6 p.m. Take it, done, forgotten about, same as the vitamin tablet I take in the morning.

Once again, all the best

Day 3 - 10mg

I had a lovely night sleep, hoping I've missed the insomnia side effect that I am prone to with SSRI's. This morning was the best I've been for ages, went to the school for my daughters assembly, then considered starting some decorating whilst I'm at home but decided to catch up on my tv missed episodes instead. although I was still constantly thinking about anxiety it wasn't bothering me. Then it came to about 2pm and the intrusive thoughts started big time as I got anxious about work and the possibility of losing my job. Again I think this is when the meds are at their peak - it did die down this evening but not as much as yesterday😢. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Day 4 - 10mg

After a rubbish nights sleep, I just couldn't drop off to sleep even with my Nytol. Today has been very up and down, tried to sleep this morning but that didn't happen. So sat watching rubbish on the TV. I made an appointment with a different therapist trying to save money as my previous one charges £140 an hour, but this one was useless. I guess the old adage is true, you get what you pay for!! So will be returning to her for CBT. Hoping for a better night sleep tonight, planning on doing a bit more rather than dwell in the anxiety. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Day 5 & 6

OMG I have been constantly tired the last 2 days, I get up to take my daughter to school then come home and been going back to bed till about 1pm. I think I'd prefer the increased anx and insomnia to this. I feel stoned, drowsy and lazy! However, I did get out and walked up to the school to collect my daughter which I haven't done in ages, the fresh air was good . So nothing else to report really, I haven't got much of an appetite during the day but I make up for it in the evening, been craving biscuits just lately as well. Anyway, will see what tomorrow brings.

Day 12

I haven't updated lately as have felt awful, anxiety is through the roof which is getting me quite down- when will this nightmare end! I know I have to wait for the meds to kick in but every morning I wake up to anxiety and it's awful, it just seems like a day feels like eternity. I'm sorry if this is no help, just logging my thoughs

I have taken Escitalopram for two years but it's stopped working now, don't let this bother you as this is unlikely to happen to you. I found it quite ok to start up on, I was a bit like a yoyo with my mood and had waves of heightened anxiety but nothing as bad as other SSRI's. It turned my life around all last year. Best of luck, hope it helps you xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information