Thread: A strange situation in which to have a panic attack?!

A strange situation in which to have a panic attack?!

Hi everyone,

I went to a spa last week for the first time in ages. In the past I've loved going to spas for massages, I have always found them relaxing. However this time, it seemed to trigger off a big panic.

I was in the middle of having an all-body massage where suddenly I started getting a bit agitated because the hole where you put your face through was a bit blocked up with a towel meaning I couldn't breath comfortably. This kinda made me a bit annoyed because it seemed silly.

This slight annoyance must have sparked some adrenaline flow, as my heart began racing a little bit. Being irrational, I then started jumping to the conclusion ''this isn't normal....I'm only a bit agitated by this but generally pretty relaxed...so why is my heart racing so fast?''

It was as though I'd just come out of the gym, not having a relaxing massage surrounded by soothing music and scented candles!

I then suddenly felt really trapped. It might have been because it wasn't a situation I could easily get up and escape from (admitting to someone that my heart is racing or that I'm having a panic attack is something I dread having to do). I was thinking of lying and saying I needed the toilet.

It was possibly the vulnerability too, not having many clothes on or being anywhere near my own clothes!

Maybe this is some strange varation of claustrophobia, feeling too confined and not able to easily escape.

I felt like sharing this as it was totally unexpected!

x

Re: A strange situation in which to have a panic attack?!

Panic is completely irrational, doesn't follow any rules

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: A strange situation in which to have a panic attack?!

Sounds completely "logical" as it relates to anxiety disorder. Classic panic pattern. You are fine, you feel a symptom...oh, no...anxiety, more symptoms, oh no, panic. Most of the time this same thing happens to me when I get my haircut. It is the lack of feeling in control. Even though I know I could just get up, take the cape off mid-cut and just leave, I know that would be super stupid which makes me feel a little out of control. Them panic ensues sometimes.

Mike

Thread Information