Thread: Sertraline - Is 25mg enough to have an effect?

Sertraline - Is 25mg enough to have an effect?

This is where I am right now. Never suffered with anxiety before in my life other than a couple of random panic attacks in the last three to four years. Then a few months ago, BOOM! Out of nowhere it all started. Used to always be after a few beers the day before but even stopping drinking didn't curb the anxiety, I'd have it every day and then the bad panic attacks came once in a while.

Tried Citalopram originally which freaked me out so badly that I came off them within a few days. The GP changed the prescription to Sertraline but because of the possible side effects, I was desperate to conquer it without taking them. That was two weeks ago. I've tried the natural route of therapy and acupuncture but my chest pains have become so bad in recent days that I've now picked up the tablets and am willing to try them, especially after this morning when the pains were worse than ever.

He's told me to take half a tablet a day which equates to 25mg for the first couple of weeks before going onto a full 50mg tablet. Took my first one after lunch and will now stick with it. Funnily enough my actual anxiety has subsided somewhat, it's just the return of these chest pains which come from nowhere that makes me bad again. I had to take two Diazepams this morning which is the first time I've had to take more than one, they're only 2mg but even the 4mg wore off within a couple of hours and I'm really reluctant to rely on these on a regular basis.

So on to the Sertraline. This is purely for anxiety, I'm generally happy and have no depression. If anything, this anxiety has made me have a better outlook on life as I was convinced I was going to die for a period of a month or so. Is 25mg enough to give me that lift and stop the negative thoughts, or is it 50mg where I'll hopefully start to feel the effects? I know he's just easing me in because of my fear of the side effects, but I don't want to get downbeat after a week or two if the 25mg doesn't have any effect. Just wondering if anyone's started to feel better on this dosage or whether I need to stick with it to the point where I up it to 50mg. I'd love it if 25mg is enough as I hate the thought of upping any medication, but if it keeps me off the valium then I'd happily take this for the rest of my life if needed.

Re: Sertraline - Is 25mg enough to have an effect?

Hiya i know you posted this last week and dont know i can be of any help but i will try.. i am due to start sertraline but like yourself a little nervous and reluctant.. dont like meds but my symptom is just like yours. unberable chest pain and the need to take a deep breath or yawn. i have no depression and like you happy go lucky usually. i have a friend who takes it for depression and swears by it.. If you look at some of the other posts one in particular where a member takes a very small amount cos scared to take more and i think she saying that its making a difference.. i hope it works for you.. i am due to start it next tuesday, well thats when i can get to see the doc and get it prescribed.. i only want a small dose.. lets hope it works. Fingers crossed and good luck. i see it was a week ago since post so how are you doing??.

Quote Originally Posted by pollynewsome View Post
    Hiya i know you posted this last week and dont know i can be of any help but i will try.. i am due to start sertraline but like yourself a little nervous and reluctant.. dont like meds but my symptom is just like yours. unberable chest pain and the need to take a deep breath or yawn. i have no depression and like you happy go lucky usually. i have a friend who takes it for depression and swears by it.. If you look at some of the other posts one in particular where a member takes a very small amount cos scared to take more and i think she saying that its making a difference.. i hope it works for you.. i am due to start it next tuesday, well thats when i can get to see the doc and get it prescribed.. i only want a small dose.. lets hope it works. Fingers crossed and good luck. i see it was a week ago since post so how are you doing??.
    Oh my god i have the same thing, the constant need to take a deep breath or yawn, and if i dont get the deep breath i panic!

I started on 25mg for the first week then went to 50mg.
    25 does have an effect at first.
    I've been on 50 for 6 mths and it's done wonders.
    Start up isn't much fun though.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Ok, been on this a week now. Did five days on 25mg and started to feel better, a few headaches and quite a lot of palpitations in the first few days but not really much else in the way of side effects, so I started taking a full 50mg tablet on Sunday. It's completely turned me around within a week. I still get a few chest pains which lead to rib pain but actual anxiety has decreased a hell of a lot and I'm not actually worried about the pains anymore.

The only things that have changed is I'm struggling to get a full night's sleep, I'm always waking up with a dry mouth so don't know whether this has anything to do with it, and I've actually started to struggle with the breathing as well, with the constant need to catch my breath or yawn which I think is contribution to the chest/rib pain. VERY tired as well.

So far though it appears to be working very well, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by AceFace View Post
    Ok, been on this a week now. Did five days on 25mg and started to feel better, a few headaches and quite a lot of palpitations in the first few days but not really much else in the way of side effects, so I started taking a full 50mg tablet on Sunday. It's completely turned me around within a week. I still get a few chest pains which lead to rib pain but actual anxiety has decreased a hell of a lot and I'm not actually worried about the pains anymore.

The only things that have changed is I'm struggling to get a full night's sleep, I'm always waking up with a dry mouth so don't know whether this has anything to do with it, and I've actually started to struggle with the breathing as well, with the constant need to catch my breath or yawn which I think is contribution to the chest/rib pain. VERY tired as well.

So far though it appears to be working very well, so keeping my fingers crossed.

How long have you had the breath thing/yawning for? Ive had it since i was 16 and it seems to be a defence thingy when im anxious. I thought i was the only one who has this! When i was really bad a few months ago i was constantly trying for this breath/yawn and my chest and arms hurt so bad from it.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by wareing77 View Post
    How long have you had the breath thing/yawning for? Ive had it since i was 16 and it seems to be a defence thingy when im anxious. I thought i was the only one who has this! When i was really bad a few months ago i was constantly trying for this breath/yawn and my chest and arms hurt so bad from it.

Nick
    Literally for three days, since I upped it to 50mg.

Thread Information