Thread: Rebound effect after one dose?

Rebound effect after one dose?

A couple years ago, my doctor suggested Nadolol to prevent my frequent migraines. I had heard that beta blockers can help with anxiety too, so I thought it was a win-win. However, I'm very sensitive to medications.

So we started on the lowest dose. I took it at bedtime, had a panic attack (nothing new), went to sleep. Woke up the next morning and felt GREAT. Really calm and just happy. Then at around 10:00 AM, I felt terrible. Not anxiety, I'm very familiar with how that feels, but something else. Went to the doc and my BP was HIGH. On a lowering med! I have never had high BP ever. So the thinking was that when it started to wear off, I had a rebound effect.

This weekend (two years later) I decided to try again, this time with Propranolol with the smallest dose possible. I cut a 10mg in half. Took that 5 mg at 6:30 AM. I felt great and totally normal for several hours. Then at 3:00 in the afternoon, felt HORRIBLE. Got my BP checked and it was 130/96. My usual is 118/80. So, the rebound effect happened again.

What is wrong with me? How could I have rebound from one pill wearing off? Has anyone ever heard of this? I don't think I could ever stay on this, then. :(

Friends have suggested it was my nerves causing it but I'm very familiar with how my anxiety feels. It's a whoosh and then tightening and mostly in the stomach area and then gastrointestinal distress. None of that happened. This was all feeling flush in the face and weird feeling in my head and dizziness.

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Rebound effect after one dose?

I have no experience with medication. Though I will say this;

I can meditate for 10 minutes and be perfectly peaceful, then stand up and walk somewhere, and the action of standing up to go do something (if it is something i'm anxious about) can make my heart race and i feel the blood pumping round my body.

You could just be 'waking up' to reality when coming off the medication and it scaring you a bit. It's likely you have some level of OCD, where you feel you need to control everything including your actions and body, so waking up to normality could scare you?

Thread Information