Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregabalin: 2 weeks in.......... and a bit concerned. Need advice and feedback.

Pregabalin: 2 weeks in.......... and a bit concerned. Need advice and feedback.

Hi all, it's my first post on here! I'll make this post as brief and as palatable as possible.

I take duloxetine as I am diagnosed with depression- which I am not convinced I actually suffer from. The psychiatrist identified it perhaps more as anxiety or GAD- hence I have started Pregabalin.

I'm not a huge fan of meds, so I researched it, and reviews look positive.

I started on 50mg 3 times a day for a week- I'm now on 3 x 100mg a day.

I work in quite a responsible position in a reasonable tough environment- yes, I work offshore. So, not a great place to be feeling lousy or having trouble and feeling unsure of new medication.

It was okay initially, however.........

The symptoms the Pregabalin is supposed to be alleviating are actually being accentuated- ie, I'm feeling worse. Very self-conscious, agitated, cloudy thinking, poor concentration. Just not myself.

So- is this just the medication 'kicking in' as it builds up to a therapeutic dose- I've only been on it two weeks? Are these adverse effects just my body tolerating and adapting to the medication?

I would like to hear what you have to say, and hear your experiences.

My doctor has said that this can be the effects of my body tolerating the Pregabalin, it's not uncommon to feel far worse before one feels better, it can take up to four to five weeks. I may even need an increase in dose.

I'm pretty worried by this and I'm wondering if this is relatively normal?

Thanks in advance. Peace out.

Re: Pregabalin: 2 weeks in.......... and a bit concerned. Need advice and feedback.

Can't really advise you on this but the same is happening to me at moment , do you get headaches ?

I'm 2 weeks in but not as high as you

Re: Pregabalin: 2 weeks in.......... and a bit concerned. Need advice and feedback.

I don't really get headaches as such, fella.

Feelings that are normally there just on the edge of the radar are now right at the forefront!

Getting a lot of anxiety over just being out-of-sorts. Being offshore at present, this forum is the only real outlet I have (outwith phone calls during the day back to the doctor) to discuss this sort of stuff with people who might know what I'm going through.

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

Sorry I cant be of much help- looks like we're in a similar predicament!

All I can say is dig in and be strong- remember you will get through it.

It can only get better from here buddy

Chin up huh

Sometimes when diagnosed with acute anxiety and one is prescribed a new drug it subconsciously increases your anxiety for some reason or another.

I take this drug but a much lower dosse of 75mg a night purely for nerve pain. A couple of years ago I was on it at a much higher dose and out of all anti depressants I have ever had, this one made me exceptionally hungry, made me very constipated and I put on a lot of weight and to be honest that in itself depressed me and at the same time my anxiety didn't subside.

However we are all different, we all react differently to any one pill, but I can only describe what happened to me.

I've been taking pregablin for about 7 weeks now. Started on 50mg 3x a day for a week then upped to 100mg x3 for about 10days, then 400mg a day for about another 10 days then quetiapine was added and the pregablin was reduced back to 300mg. Iv been on this dose for nearly 3 weeks and it's just the last few days I've started to feel more like my own self.
    At first I thought it wasn't doing anything, still anxious all day felt stoned and unable to go out, drive or anything. I worried because everyone one else seemed to improve within a week or so and I wasn't feeling any better. I must say my anxiety was severe, I was hospitalised twice within 2 month so maybe that's why it took longer or it may of been the addition of the quetiapine.... I don't know but I do know I won't be making any changes to my meds soon
    Give it a good go before giving up on it
    I know I'm eating more but at this point in time I'm more concerned about my mental health, the weight I can deal with when I'm in a better place getting my life back is my main aim

Pregabalin is licensed for GAD, which might be characterized as excessive, continual worry. A number of doctors are starting to prescribe it for stronger anxiety or panic. In those cases, it is probably a good idea to give it more time (several weeks) to see if it is working.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    Sometimes when diagnosed with acute anxiety and one is prescribed a new drug it subconsciously increases your anxiety for some reason or another.

I take this drug but a much lower dosse of 75mg a night purely for nerve pain. A couple of years ago I was on it at a much higher dose and out of all anti depressants I have ever had, this one made me exceptionally hungry, made me very constipated and I put on a lot of weight and to be honest that in itself depressed me and at the same time my anxiety didn't subside.

However we are all different, we all react differently to any one pill, but I can only describe what happened to me.
    Very true, stepping into the unknown of new medication causes anxiety in itself- as does the uncertainty of coming off medication too.

Luckily, things seem to be getting better over the last 48 hours.

Fortunately, I don't seem to be putting on weight- I do a lot of running, so this may be offsetting any potential weight gain.

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lan69 View Post
    I've been taking pregablin for about 7 weeks now. Started on 50mg 3x a day for a week then upped to 100mg x3 for about 10days, then 400mg a day for about another 10 days then quetiapine was added and the pregablin was reduced back to 300mg. Iv been on this dose for nearly 3 weeks and it's just the last few days I've started to feel more like my own self.
    At first I thought it wasn't doing anything, still anxious all day felt stoned and unable to go out, drive or anything. I worried because everyone one else seemed to improve within a week or so and I wasn't feeling any better. I must say my anxiety was severe, I was hospitalised twice within 2 month so maybe that's why it took longer or it may of been the addition of the quetiapine.... I don't know but I do know I won't be making any changes to my meds soon
    Give it a good go before giving up on it
    I know I'm eating more but at this point in time I'm more concerned about my mental health, the weight I can deal with when I'm in a better place getting my life back is my main aim
    Definitely, your peace-of-mind is a bit more important than your body image! However, especially in today's society, this can be a source of anxiety and worry.

As I've mentioned, things seem to be getting better- approaching the 3-week mark now, and perhaps it's hitting therapeutic levels- touch wood. Feeling more like my normal self, mental cloudiness and brain fog lifting.

I'm just looking upon it as an opportunity to take a step back to take two forward, and go back to basics. I was doing a lot of Mindfulness before I was on the Pregabalin, and was taking good steps forward with it and deepening my practice- it really helps, as it tackles one of our big enemies as anxiety sufferers- OVERTHINKING. However, on the Pregabalin during this funny transition phase, I couldn't get my mind to settle.

I tried to post a link to the book (which has a CD with it too), but the site wont let me until I have 10 posts!

It's "Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world" by Danny Williams.

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Pregabalin is licensed for GAD, which might be characterized as excessive, continual worry. A number of doctors are starting to prescribe it for stronger anxiety or panic. In those cases, it is probably a good idea to give it more time (several weeks) to see if it is working.
    Hopefully it is kicking in now- a bit better over the last few days.

I have that book too. He has a website with the tracks from the CD which I've put in the Mindfulness thread in my signature. Have a look as he has a few more meditations on his website and I've added a load more free ones from other sources.

Was okay for a bit- it kicked in not too bad when offshore, but it took it's time.

Arrived back home, and things havent been the same- i take the meds three times a day, and ive had to change the timings. If i take it upon waking (and dont let myself wake up properly for a few hours or so) im bleary the whole day.

But now- the symptoms its supposed to be helping are worse, i have no energy, and im pretty low!

Is this exhaustion (with having a lot on) or the meds? I have to get myself right for goung back to work in 10days.

Really struggling. :-(

Feel like im in a bit if a predicament.

Any advice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information