Thread: Lyrica or generic alternative?

Lyrica or generic alternative?

Hi all,
    After having Lyrica for over a year I now am prescribed Lecaent capsules instead.
    I know they contain the same amount of pregabalin and presumably Lecaent is much cheaper. Just wondered if many other people have Lecaent rather than the Pfizer brand name and if anyone noticed any difference?

Re: Lyrica or generic alternative?

I can't speak for Lecaent, but since generics must contain identical active ingredients to the name brands, the differences are mostly in things like coatings (that may reduce stomach upsets) and release speeds (faster or slower). Generally, the more expensive manufacturer puts these onto the market after the generic comes out, highlighting the differences (but not the fact that the active ingredient is identical).

hanshan

I know you more than most know a lot about Lyrica and you may have read that I take 75mg for nerve pain.My doctor actually suggested I increase up to 150mg if the pain doesn't lessen, do you know the highest acceptable dose for nerve pain.I would add that I have mentioned before I take a cocktail of drugs after my HA but am a little reluctant to increase the Lyrica because of weight gain.

Hi Ricardo,

I'm not an expert on pregabalin for neuropathic nerve pain, but a quick check of several dosage guides seems to come up with a maximum of 300 mg daily, although some experimental trials used 450 mg and 600 mg. As you say, you want the best effect with minimum side effects, so there can be a bit of a play-off between the two. Talk to your doctor, and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Hi Ricardo,

I'm not an expert on pregabalin for neuropathic nerve pain, but a quick check of several dosage guides seems to come up with a maximum of 300 mg daily, although some experimental trials used 450 mg and 600 mg. As you say, you want the best effect with minimum side effects, so there can be a bit of a play-off between the two. Talk to your doctor, and good luck.
    Thank you

Thread Information