Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is buspar discontinued?

Re: is buspar discontinued?

Buspar is very safe. The only documented abuse, as far as I know, is snorting the stuff for highs in prison.

Compared to Benzo's! Benzo's are such a high risk factor the UN added them to their Convention on Psychotropic Substances (1971) to force worldwide control of them! They are risky in the long term as people have found to their cost and are now considered a short term anxiety strategy or for acute occasions.

Buspar is licenced in different ways though. In the UK it is licenced for short term anxiety treatment. It's different in the US.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 04-11-15 at 09:41.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

Buspar is licenced in different ways though. In the UK it is licenced for short term anxiety treatment. It's different in the US.
    Why only short-term? Is it the same idea as beta blockers, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Genoire View Post
    Why only short-term? Is it the same idea as beta blockers, maybe?
    It lacks evidence so NICE (our clinical excellence body) won't endorse it for treatment of anxiety. So, I guess the NHS have decided that based on it's low abuse & side effect profile, it's worth trying otherwise it's Benzo's in the short term. so, I guess it is the same as beta-blockers.

Oh dear I must be the odd one out. After careful consideration by Dr Brain the local NHS psychiatrist and two GP's in my Practice it was decided that I remain on 2 to 3 mg of Xanax as though it wasn't very effective anymore after which was 8 years, now 10, it would be dangerous to ween me off as all and I mean all anti depressants have never helped me the slightest just given my horrendous side effects. This goes completely against the trend and I get 180 x .50mg at a time as a private NHS prescription.

This isn't a great situation as I can't up the dose nor do I want to but I still get a little relief if I take 1mg at a time.

I asked about Busper which I have been on but in Spain and my GP said he doesn't prescribe it very often but it is still available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information