Thread: Palpitations getting severe

Palpitations getting severe

Hello. I'm new to the forum. As a quick introduction, I'm 22 years old, suffer from OCD and SAD, which I both battle with on therapy and my own time. I've also had palpitations for years, I think they started when I was around 14. Due to my (mostly dealt with) hypochondria, I know quite a lot about heart palpitations. I'm not an expert obviously, but I learned to live with them, and the anxiety they produce. More than a year ago however, they got worse. Instead of an occasional pounding, I developed a run of palpitations (3 to about 8 in a row). At first they terrified me, but I learned to cope with them too, more or less. I noticed most of them come from stress and stomach (I have GERD, and experience a lot of palps after certain foods or overeating). Then one week ago, I experienced a massive amount of them - I was bending over with a full stomach (this pressure is causing the palpitations too, mainly after eating) and I don't know exactly how many of them, but much more than usual. With that came the burping and heartburn. After several burps it passed. It scared me, but I managed the fear quite quickly. My main reason for writing here though, is because of what happened yesterday night. So, I ate two hot-dogs at 7 PM with lots of ketchup and some other sauce (yeah, I know...), which was making my stomach go more or less crazy for many hours after that. With this came palpitations, but it was "the usual stuff". Then at 2 AM I got over-excited watching a movie - I felt a big pound. Then two normal beats and another pound. One beat and a pound. Then two or three normal beats and again a pound, etc. It was palpitations galore, it just wouldn't stop. And these thumps were much stronger than usual too. I remember calming down, saying to myself "ok, it will pass now, just stay calm". It always helped, but not this time. I was calm and it still wouldn't stop. I started forcefully burping (seeing as it helped in the situation one week ago) and doing a Valsalva maneuver - don't know which one of them helped, but it finally stopped. The whole thing lasted for about 15-20 seconds. That's a lot considering that I had such intense palpitations for 5 seconds at most before. After that I got two more palpitations with a lot of normal beats in between and that was it. I had the "feeling of dying" many times with my panic attacks, but to be honest it was nothing compared to that. In this case, I seriously thought I am going to die. It was so scary I can't even describe it. Due to the palpitations happening almost one after another, I don't even know if these were PACs or PVCs anymore. I don't know, maybe it was an afib? I really don't know. I'm scared. I woke up at 6 AM and was shaking and trembling, couldn't sleep for the next two hours. Had to take a day off because I'm really not too good today, to say the least.

One quick afterthought about this - I know it's my fault that I I ate what I ate, my sleep schedule is sometimes messed up too... But still, I can't explain to myself that it's just that.

Now a few words about health regarding my heart. I was tested many, many times. On ECG it never showed anything, but had a Holter monitor 2 times and there were a few PVCs, PACs, short non-sustained tachycardia runs... Nothing serious. Ultrasonography 3 times. Nothing too. All clear. Apart from that many visits and casual tests. It doesn't help that the worst palpitations I had were never registered on anything. It's hard to do that tough, because while I may have heart palpitations every other day or so, the really scary ones happen from at least a week apart from each other, sometimes months even. It came down to the point though that I don't really trust my cardiologist anymore. I mean, how can I be healthy when something like this happens? What if I have some serious arrhythmia which left untreated will kill me all of a sudden? At least that's what I keep asking myself after such situations. I know I shouldn't, but it's hard not to.

My questions for you is - do you experience such intense palpitations? Do you have runs of them or have them happening almost one after another? Do you have such "palpitations attack" as described above or similar? Is it really all in my head and anxiety problem? Please help.

Re: Palpitations getting severe

Anyone?

Nothing you say is out of the ordinary for PVC sufferers. The frequency and sensations can change at any time.

I've said for so long now that a lot of people's problems stem from their stomach but most people don't want to hear it. People need to realise that doctors are not Gods. They will tell you food/reflux has no effect on palps, yet there are literally thousands of people online who can link the two.

I posted s thread a few days ago and the only advice I can give you is to follow those steps and see how you feel. The good news is that you've been thoroughly checked out multiple times and a young, structurally normal heart isn't just going to give out.

What do you do for your reflux? I completely changed my diet and take Gaviscon and rarely have problems anymore.

Yes, I know there are probably hundreds of similar topics, it's just that I never experienced such intense palpitations before and got so anxious I couldn't think straight. I'm much better now, I read some of the topics here and calmed down a lot... Probably should have read them before posting, but I was in a panicky state, you know? I also didn't know that the sensations can change in such a drastic way. I guess I learned about it the hard way.

Now that I think more clearly, the logical part of me knows that I won't just die suddenly. I worry about the attacks being atrial fibrillation though. I have an appointment with my cardiologist next month anyway, so I will ask about this. I just wish that the worst attacks were recorded on an ECG or a Holter monitor... Would be calming me a lot more.

As for the reflux I try to not overeat and control what I eat. Sometimes I can't help myself and I eat some junk food, but it happens much more rarely than before. I suspected I have GERD for a long time, but it wasn't until 3 months ago that I was officially diagnosed, so keeping a healthy diet is still a huge self-discipline work for me. The biggest struggle I have though is having a daily eating routine and sticking to it. Considering my eating habits were completely messed up before, I think I'm doing pretty good, but there's a vast area for improvement to be done.

As for medication, so far I took Mesopral (local version of esomeprazole) for 2 months.

I'll read your topic tomorrow.

Don't worry, make as many threads as you like. We all know what it feels like when the panic sets in. I was just trying to reassure you that what you felt wasn't too out of the ordinary.

Sadly there's no quick fix and it could take a while to find out what your other triggers are or if you're deficient in anything etc.

I have the exact same thing, but mine are related to panic and not to stomach. I always had PVCs / PACs, but since a few moths ago I have something new: when I enter panic mode, I start experiencing what you desbribe as "palpitation attack", but mine come with very fast heart rate. I know how scary it is, belive me!

I once had quadrigeminy for about 5 minutes with a HR of about 170bpm..
    It's something like:

x-x-xY---x-x-xY---x-x-xY---x-x-xY---x-x-xY--- (the Y is a PVC/ PAC). Now imagine how scary it is with a heart rate of 160-170...

I also experienced a bigeminy pattern (every second beat a PVC), and several times I had very frequent PVC without any pattern, just random ones every 8, 10, 12 beats or so...

And yes, the first time I thought I was going to die. I went to cardiologist and she looked to all my exams and told me I am perfectly fine and it's all caused by anxiety / panic. Hard to believe, I know.. but it's true that these "attacks" occur with panic 90% of the time, so I think she's right

Severe palpitations are my worst nightmare but as they happen every day and have done for the last 11 months I've grown used to them. I suffer from panic disorder and agoraphobia and they can happen at any time during the day. First day I had them so bad I was off in an ambulance to a+ e . ecgs were perfect,bloods were perfect and chest xray was perfect. Big sigh of relief. I find that if I do my breathing exercises count to four in and exhale for 11 they ease off quite quickly and if all else fails 1/2 a diazepam to relax me. Reading peoples posts that they were suffering the same helped me too

Thanks for replying. It's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing such things, but on the other hand, it sucks that you have to go through this too. Hopefully we will overcome this, one way or another.

By the way I have another question. Sometimes I experience kind of a "twitch" in my chest, but I don't think it's heart-related. It comes and goes, I haven't had it for 3 months now (until today, which reminded me of it). It happens during anxiety attacks and forced breathing (by that I mean hyperventilating, thanks OCD). It appears under my left nipple, between the ribs and aside from the feeling of twitching is otherwise asymptomatic. I don't think it comes from the heart because I can feel most other palpitations in my neck, chest and sometimes in my head too. Also when I check my pulse on the neck or wrist it seems normal, while with PVCs/PACs it is easily palpable. The twitches are very fast and appear many times in a row, sometimes it's 30 twitches or so. I'm pretty sure if that was from the heart, I would at least feel something, right? I'm a little worried about it still. But as I said, it isn't palpable when checking pulse, heart appears to be beating normally too. Do you think it could be a muscle twitch? If so, why so close to the heart (my theory is because I am focusing on that area too much)?

I'm almost sure that's a muscle twitch. As you said, if it was something with the heart rhythm, you would feel it when checking your pulse.

Thread Information