Thread: Citalopram not as effective now?

Citalopram not as effective now?

Hi Everyone,

I started taking Citalopram 6 weeks and 2 days ago. This is the first time I have ever taken medication for my anxiety/depression, and for the first two weeks I was taking 10mg. I am now taking 20mg.

About week two, I noticed a decrease in anxiety, I felt a bit spaced out but was fine with that due to the decrease in anxiety.

About week 3-4 I would say I felt a lot better. In fact, better than I had felt in years. I wasn't anxious at all really and I used to blush a lot when speaking to people and that completely went away.

Week 5 to today however, I feel like I have levelled out a bit, like it's not having as positive effect as it was a couple of weeks ago. I blush again on occasion, and generally don't feel as good as I did.

I have an appointment next week with my GP to track progress but just wondered what peoples thoughts were on here? Do you think I will be upped to 30mg? Or is it likely I will return to how I felt around week 3-4?

Input appreciated.
    Last edited by AaronB; 22-10-15 at 22:00.

Re: Citalopram not as effective now?

I kinda have the same thing. This is my 2nd time on Cit. Around 2 and a half weeks back on it I felt a huge decrease in my symptoms but about a week later I came crashing down hard. I'm coming up on 5 weeks back on and today was probably my worst day since I started taking it again. Huge bummer considering last time I took Cit I felt about 90% recovered within a month. Gonna make an appointment with my doc and see what she wants me to do. Feeling pretty horrible right now.

Any other input? Hopefully more positive?

Hi Aaron

I've been on 20mg for almost 4 weeks following 2 weeks of tapering up. I do have moments where I feel ok but still have anxiety a lot of the time particularly in the mornings. I'm back to my Drs next week as well and think I will be increasing to 30mg. The majority of the stories I've read on here seem to all advise to stick with it for at least 3 months and it will all be worth it. This is the second time I've been on Cit and I remember the last time I thought I was ok then came crashing back down at about 6 weeks but by 12ish weeks was feeling much better (I should never have come off them!) and I did go to 30mg then.

Sarah

Been advised by GP to stay on 20mg

Just coming back to this thread to save posting a new one. I've now been on 20mg for 5 months. And for the first time, in the last week, I have felt that familiar nervous feeling in my stomach, and a bit shaky. I'm nowhere near as bad as pre med, but I'm certainly noticing a slight fall in the affectiveness of my citalopram.

I'm wondering if I should go back to the doctors (new one due to house move, so hope I get a good one), and ask if I should go up to 30mg. But I don't want to keep upping it every six months, is there a point where I find the right dose?

Does it sound similar to anyone on here that 20mg becomes less effective after 5/6 months?

Appreciate any other experiences if you could let me know.

And just to add, I have felt the best I have felt for YEARS, up until this point. A HUGE difference and oh so very welcomed. I really feel like this med has worked for me, so keen to stick with it.

Although the locum doc I saw last week when I registered at the surgery turned to me and said "so, do you still need citalopram or can you stop that now?" after ZERO consultation as to why I'm on it, how I feel, nothing. Hence my return soon to see a different doc.

I think the change is more likely to do with the house move and all the stress surrounding that and the unsettled feelings. I *suspect* it's what's usually called a 'blip' here, a bad week or two, quite natural.
    If it continues then move to 30mg, most people find SSRI's like citalopram effective for a long long time.

Thread Information