Thread: cure for flushing??

cure for flushing??

Hi everyone
    I recently figured out that the main reason i'm often the quiet one in a group of people, is that - even though i have millions of stories to share - i'm scared to flush. it happened again today: my neighbours and their little kid came in for like 2 minutes and when the father said "say bye to anna", i said "bye" but flushed furiously. ugh. and my mother was staring at me with that classic expression on her face... oh God i feel so bad

does anyone know how to hide this? lately i put on any kind of makeup, like powder or red correction. first i thought i'd finally got rid of the flushing, but people kept telling me i was going red, sometimes at times i couldn't even feel my face warming up. it is just horrible!!!

So can anyone relate to this and has anyone solved the flushing problem?? oh, and i don't use medication. unless i start feeling hopeless everyday which i'm not...yet. Thank You!! Xx

Re: cure for flushing??

Hi Anna,

I get this the odd time too, but not half as bad as I used to.

Your nervous system is tired. It controls the functioning of your blood vessels. In cold temperatures the blood vessels open so more blood flows through, hence you go red. In warm temperatures they contract so less blood flows through. It's basically a heating and cooling mechanism.

The nervous system responds to your moods. When you feel anxious you are activating this mechanism.

The cure?...

Stop caring about it. The more you want it to stop, the more you care and the more it comes.

Who gives a hoot if your face goes red. Stop caring so much. If it goes red it goes red. Big deal. If your mum gives you a hard time about it try to have the attitude of "yea so what." Your face can go any colour it wants. What's it any of her, or anyone else's business?

Working on your anxiety overall, and letting your nervous system get its energy back will help also.

Best,

Jon
    Please see my blog to read about the techniques which have helped me be able to leave my house, travel to the other side of the world, become a teacher, and speak in front of 50 plus people. http://therightinnervoice.com/

Re: cure for flushing??

It sounds like you're overly nervous and also probably anticipating being embarrassed?
    I'd have a word with your mom about how it makes you feel, because it will help with the feeling of embarrassment that it sounds liek you get from people pointing it out. You're also kinda expecting people to point it out.

Try and work on social anxiety techniques, and feel good techniques too! Like the kid saying bye to you was a polite, cute gesture so take that as something to be smiling and calm about

Thread Information