Thread: Panic attacks returned with vengeance

Panic attacks returned with vengeance

Hi. I joined this site over six years ago as I had experienced a very disturbing panic attack which ended up with a visit to hospital and various tests to basically be told there was nothing wrong with me.
    Up until a couple of months ago, I believed that this was behind me. Unfortunately I am experiencing numerous symptoms which are really, really dragging me down. I have two ambulances at the door. Have had three full blown panic attacks and have managed to stop at least another two or three occurring.
    I am trying meditation apps, exercise, am seeing a counsellor and have been prescribed Citalopram(which I haven't started taking as yet).
    I'm not going to go through all my symptoms as it would not be of much benefit to people reading but I do have a few questions which I would be very grateful if I could get some answers to.
    1. After experiencing my most recent panic attack, my throat felt like it was almost completely shut. Does this affect your throat after (days after) ie is there uncomfortable feeling in the throat due to the constriction from the panic attack?
    2. I am struggling for breath and have felt this for a couple of months now. I believe that I am tensing a muscle up in the diaphragm area but it is happening without me knowing. I have to ask myself "is that muscle relaxed or tense", it is normally tensed and I have to relax it. Sometimes it will almost tense up immediatley and I have to go through the same process again. Has anyone else experienced this and what could I do to prevent this from happening?
    3. I would like to ask for opinions on the drug I have been prescribed, good or bad? I have not taken it as yet because I would prefer to try and resolve my issues without medication but some days I think that I should be taking it as I feel that dreadful.
    I appreciate anybody taking the time to read this post and also and replies that I may get.
    Thank you

Re: Panic attacks returned with vengeance

Hello and welcome back to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through, keep fighting and have patience.

Now regarding your questions. That undesirable feeling in your throat is actually a very common symptom of anxiety or panic attack. it normally comes and go. The thing to do about it is to relax and breathe properly. Muscle tension is also normal, this typically happens around the abdomen area. It cramps up and makes it harder to breathe. As for this I'm sorry but I don't know any other treatment. Lastly with regards to the medication, Citalopram is a medicine commonly used to treat depression, although, it can also be used for anxiety and panic disorder. I also am not a fan of meds but I believe sometimes it's also necessary. The thing to do here is proper moderation. You can not depend solely on the meds, you should also include counseling and other alternative methods as part of your treatment regimen. I hope this was able to help you. I'll pray for your speedy recovery. Good Luck.

Thread Information