Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agomelatine

Agomelatine

Hi guys I have just started a new anti depressant for my anxiety called agomelatine I have been taking it for nearly 2 weeks I have noticed my anxiety and depression is a lot worse been to see my dr about it and he just brushed it off saying its not causing me anxiety getting really depressed anyone else on this med ? I am taking 25mg at night he wants to increase again in a weeks time after my liver results.

Re: Agomelatine

Your GP sounds like mine "it's your anxiety not the drug" bit funny how anxiety is a recognised side effect:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emcmobi...IRABLE_EFFECTS

My GP was just the same when I went on Duloxetine and now I know he didn't have much understanding of that med to deny side effects I was having when it was even documented in the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) in box.

Yep it is a psyh I see he's useless and so is the new med I don't know what the fuss is about it's a new anti depressant about that's meant to help with sleep as we'll my sorting out your bodies clock I took it at 8 pm didn't get to sleep untill 2am been getting really deep depression a lot more since taking it the dr offered to give me a weeks supply of clonazipam I said no because once I finish them off I will be back to square 1 very patronising telling me to do somthing warther then in the same 4 walls but it's difficult because I have social phobia and agoraphobia on top of anxiety and depression

You need to ask for liver function tests after 6 weeks on that drug.

Yeah I am due 1 next week before it's increased

I'm sure there must be a reason why this med isn't widely used seeing as it's meant to have a very quick kicking-in period. It's known to have the potential to cause liver enzyme discrepancies and it's probably expensive...and not very effective. It was meant to be a breakthrough drug in the private sector a few years back but I guess it hasn't proved to be that much of a revelation. Certainly worth trying though but not at the expense of liver problems..

Bit of a update been seen by a home treatment team they want me to keep taking it and increased my clonazipam to 1mg twice a day meant to be seen by a dr on Tuesday going to speak to him about it and all they keep doing is filling me up with clonazipam I am hooked on it it feels like they don't want to give me somthing like quits pine because I am type 1 diabetic the clonazipam only lasts for 4 hours then the feeling comes back and I think they want to increase the agomellotine witch I know will make me even worse already having thoughts of overdosing on my insulin

Agomelatine acts on depression via 5ht2c antagonism - which increases dopamine and norepinephrine levels in certain parts of the brain. Interestingly, out of the SSRIs fluoxetine also has this effect, but much weaker than its primary action as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. I've not known anyone who has been prescribed this drug before though.

My daughter was prescribed it by a private psychiatrist a couple of years ago. I think that the potential for liver enzyme discrepancies has been a stumbling block for NHS usage-and cost, probably?

Quote Originally Posted by Emphyrio View Post
    Agomelatine acts on depression via 5ht2c antagonism - which increases dopamine and norepinephrine levels in certain parts of the brain. Interestingly, out of the SSRIs fluoxetine also has this effect, but much weaker than its primary action as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. I've not known anyone who has been prescribed this drug before though.
    It also works on Melatonin.

Many of the SSRI's have effects beyond Serotonin alone, just in different levels of weakness but generally never enough to be classified as anything other than a SSRI. Perhaps this is why some are more for depression, anxiety or certain forms of anxiety like OCD. What do you think. Emphyrio?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information