Thread: Painful squeezing in chest.

Painful squeezing in chest.

I was loading the dishwasher and all of the sudden I got this squeezing in my chest. It was even with my armpits. And felt like someone was giving a big bear hug it probably lasted 5 seconds but it was very painful and scared the heck out of me. I don't think my heart rate changes much and it's pretty normal right now. I was at the cardiologist a year ago and have my next yearly appointment next month. I went to sit down and the pain seems to have gone but now I'm terrified it will come back. Does anyone have any idea what this was???

Re: Painful squeezing in chest.

Hi, I hope you're feeling ok now. It could be a slightly trapped nerve or muscle tension from being at an unusual angle when loading the dishwasher. I'm not saying for certain but that's what came to my mind, like how sometimes when you sit funny your leg might get pains. Everyone gets weird twinges, the problem with this is that you only notice them when you're anxious.

I saw a mental health practitioner recently and she told me something that is really good to try and practice/remember. Try and practice mindfulness, focus on the current moment and don't worry about how you 'may' feel in the future. Worrying will make you focus on your body even more and can cause further symptoms.

Obviously if you do really start feeling bad then go see a doctor/go to A&E.

Hello how are you now?

That was a scary incident. It's a good thing that your appointment is close. As of now there are still many possibilities to what it is. It could have been just a heartburn. A complete diagnosis will be essential.

The thing you should do know is try to relax and not overthink about it much. Wait for the doctor's assessment. It's a good thing that you immediately thought of sitting down to relax. If it recurs just do the same thing and try to call for immediate help.

I hop your results show only minor difficulties. God Bless you.

I have no idea what it was but it only happened once. It was scary and I was afraid of it happening again. I'm def going to Mention it to my dr when I see him

Having had a heart attack myself I'd be making an appointment right about now just in case

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thread Information