Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low ferritin :(

Low ferritin :(

I had some blood tests taken as I wanted to make sure my IBS and acid reflux was just that.
    The only thing that came back was low ferritin, ( low iron)
    The doctor wanted me to go on irontablets but what with my bad ibs I know they can screw with your stomach and the last thing I want is to make it worse. I asked to be put on the liquid form as I was prescribed this during my pregnancy and was fine but she said it costs too much on the NHS. So she said to change my diet with iron rich foods. I can't help but think this isn't enough! And I will turn anemic
    My level is 11 and normal is 12-250
    I'm freaking out because even tho she said it may be because of my periods and poor diet I'm thinking its Coeliac or a ulcer or bleeding else where :(

I'm so scared!
    Last edited by MissSunshine; 29-10-15 at 10:36.

Re: Low ferritin :(

Quote Originally Posted by MissSunshine View Post
    I'm freaking out because even tho she said it may be because of my periods and poor diet I'm thinking its Coeliac or a ulcer or bleeding else where :(

I'm so scared!
    No... its low iron! So, you have a choice, do nothing and have continued issues or do something (like just take the dang tablet), and improve. OR... pay out of pocket for the liquid form.

Good luck and positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I'd love to just take the tablet,
    But the tablets she's offering me are known to mess up your stomach, even those who do not have ibs have troubles,
    My trouble is this ibs is making me loose weight, and at the moment my stomach is fine, if I take the tablets it will just bring back my stomach problems, I can't afford the liquid form either. I feel like crap right now :(

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

I feel like everyone is fed up with me :(
    I'm waiting for cbt but untill then I need support
    The doctors are fed up of me ringing them but I need someone to talk to as I'm so bad with my health anxiety now no one understands in my life what health anxiety is and my partner is fed up of me talking about it too I feel so alone :(
    I'm loosing weight and no cares imconstantly in pain because of my ibs and now I need to take iron tablets is going to make me so much worse yet I need to take them over wise I will be come anemic I'm loosing my mind

So, the GP puts cost of a liquid iron above patient welfare. It's liquid iron, not a life saving expensive drug so it's not going to be that expensive.

You can get liquid iron supplements yourself. They sell the mineral water version in my local Tesco and pregnant women on here have mentioned it being recommended by their midwives. How about trying that? They do it on a permanent 3 for 2 deal.

I don't think people are fed up with you. People can offer suggestions and advice (and they do) but its up to you to follow through. If you don't or counter it with the "yeah buts", it can be frustrating to watch.

So your choices are: Do nothing, take the tablet (or some additional iron supplement), buy the liquid or eat more iron rich foods (you'll be eating food that will help you gain weight and increase your iron.). That's it really. Low iron is not a serious medical condition. In fact, it's one of the more common issues people face and is quite easily remedied.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I'm so glad someone understands I got so upset over the fact they didn't think I'd need it and making me feel bad because try actually said I'm wasting NHS money.
    But I'm loosing weight because of my stock problems :(
    Thank you I will try that xx

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 ----------

Fishmanpa I just can't help it when a doctor says I have something wrong my head thinks the worst, but hey that's why I'm on this form I have health anxiety!
    The doctors are seriously fed up with me they keep asking when I'm getting my appointment and sigh when I ring up with another problem, but I need reassurance all the time.
    I'm gonna try the water supplement as mentioned above I hope that helps because I really don't want t go on the tablets!

It's supposed to be gentle on the system as opposed to the tablets. Iron in supplements always gave me constipation so this is the form I would try if I needed it as people on here have said it doesn't affect them and during pregnancy constipation is already a problem from what I've always heard so if they (and midwives) are recommending it, it must be gentle.

There are several different manufacturers that I have seen on sale and my Tesco sells two of them. The water based one is the one I've seen recommended on here and is I just really high iron water from a mineral source in the UK so it's very natural. It comes in sachets. It might cheaper online bit it depends on the 3 for 2 deal. They sell it in month long packs as well.

Your surgery sound like they are ignorant of anxiety disorders to me. It's obvious someone with HA is going to be down there more, it's a well documented symptom. No doctor should make you feel bad for being unwell, that just tells me they don't particularly believe in mental health disorders out of ignorance, whether they are old fashioned, uneducated or just unpleasant people.

You are NOT wasting NHS money - whats wrong with someone with GI issues asking for a gentler form of something known to make such problems worse? Having HA is also NOT a waste of NHS money either. How they can dare to claim that in a system ferrying drunks to A&E every night is just garbage!

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Spatone it's called. Just remembered.

I've found Spatone to be helpful. It's a liquid iron formula and doesn't cause bowel problems. Probably the Tesco version is cheaper though

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

Sorry Terry-just noticed you'd posted the same!

That's the one, pulisa. It looks a good one and all natural too as it comes out of the spring that way. I notice on Amazon it gets good reviews for the same reasons over the problems the tablets bring. I'm glad it helped you. I've never tried iron supplements, other than in multivitamins which always bound me up, but it might be worth trying this with my fatigue issues.

MyNameIsTerry thank you- you know exactly what I'm trying to say, unfortunately my doctors do not understand health and anxiety at all.
    And it is as mental illness the way I'm being treated is shocking I just got my appointment through today for my CBT so I'm on my way to getting myself on track but at the moment they are leaving me with no one to turn too
    The fact they want to put me on a tablet that will make me worse then I am already is shocking. I will just have to pay for my own supplement which is abit disheartening as you said people who fall into A&E drunk that's what I call wasting NHS money.
    I will try spa tone thank you both,
    Will check out the cheaper version from tesco first tho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information