Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low ferritin :(

Re: Low ferritin :(

You can't afford £10 or so for an iron supplement? Have you tried the tablets? They might not cause any problems for you.

Seems a bit silly to get yourself so worked up over low iron levels. Try and relax.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ.../?id=285353353

Check these out. One serving (which isn't a lot) gives you 90% RDA of Iron. You could eat two servings if you need to put weight on. Eat beans, lots of green veg and try and get a supplement you can handle.

Your levels will shoot up in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Anxious View Post
    You can't afford £10 or so for an iron supplement? Have you tried the tablets? They might not cause any problems for you.

Seems a bit silly to get yourself so worked up over low iron levels. Try and relax.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ.../?id=285353353

Check these out. One serving (which isn't a lot) gives you 90% RDA of Iron. You could eat two servings if you need to put weight on. Eat chickpeas, lots of green veg and try and get a supplement you can handle.

Your levels will shoot up in no time.
    IMO, this is not about the NHS or an insensitive doctor. While it's true that not all medical professionals are sensitive concerning anxiety as they could be, this is more about a perceived fear about the chance that a iron tablet may not agree with your stomach and a rather extreme reaction to a slightly low (1 point) iron reading .

You basically reiterated my point. To assume that the tablets are going to cause an issue and use that as the reason not to try them and to get worked up over a low iron level (one point lower mind you) is not reasonable. The worst thing that can happen is they disagree and you stop taking them and find something else. Like you're saying, a tab that agrees with your stomach and foods higher in iron and you kill two birds with one stone (gain weight and raise your iron levels).

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 29-10-15 at 18:03.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

With ibs if something sets off my stomach (I have a flare up) it could last weeks before it goes back to normal, stress and things I eat / medication has done that before.
    The whole reason I took these tests was because I couldn't cope with the stomach pains so trying me with a tablet that I know will cause trouble would be the worst thing for me.
    I will have to pay for the iron water as I can't handle anymore flare ups.

My anxiety has got the better of me I know but low Ferritin is also known for serious reasons like intestinal bleeding, this was my fear before taking the test as I've Been having stomach problems so to learn I have low iron has freaked me out
    The doctor isn't sending me for further testing so that's comforting but can you understand why I'm so scared :(

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    IMO, this is not about the NHS or an insensitive doctor. While it's true that not all medical professionals are sensitive concerning anxiety as they could be, this is more about a perceived fear about the chance that a iron tablet may not agree with your stomach and a rather extreme reaction to a slightly low (1 point) iron reading .

You basically reiterated my point. To assume that the tablets are going to cause an issue and use that as the reason not to try them and to get worked up over a low iron level (one point lower mind you) is not reasonable. The worst thing that can happen is they disagree and you stop taking them and find something else. Like you're saying, a tab that agrees with your stomach and foods higher in iron and you kill two birds with one stone (gain weight and raise your iron levels).

Positive thoughts
    I agree with the food element but GP's dish the tablets out as there are some that are classified as medicines so it resolves the problem quickly whereas food adjustments can take much longer so they don't want to keep seeing the patient.

Considering liquid iron supplements are actually quite reasonably priced, I somehow doubt a medicinal version is expensive BUT they will cost more than tablets. Those tablets are well known for causing upsets to anyone regardless of having actual problems in areas so I don't think I would want to take them and feel worse.

I think a surgery losing their patience over repeat visits is a poor attitude to mental health. It's part of the stigma everyone wants to stop. Afterall, how many people do they see every day with minor issues they shouldn't even be there with? Are they complaining about them? Probably not if they are physical. They wouldn't dare complain about the elderly who are in there all the time. Medical stigma is an old fashioned and uncaring attitude regardless of the penny pinching.

Tesco don't make their own OP, it was Spatone I meant, sorry for the confusion.

I've had anaemia and low Ferritin (6) for 20 plus years. When I first became anaemic, my Hb really was quite low, and I was prescribed a high dose of ferrous sulphate. These had a severe impact, especially pain wise, on my digestive system. After doing some research, I noticed that fewer stomach complains were noted with Ferrous Fumerate and asked my GP to prescribe these, which they happy for me to take. I can honestly say I've never once had a problem with them and have been on them on and off for years. Infact, when I was offered a blood transfusion after the birth of my first child, I decline and asked to make up the iron loss with ferrous Fumerate and within 3 weeks my Hb was almost back to normal levels.

Hi
    I too was very anaemic HB 6.8. And ferritin level 2. Mg gp was actually wanting to give me a blood transfusion. But being extremely agarophobic, weak with anaemia and constant panic attacks, I could never have made it tocthe hospital.

It was caused by very heavy periods ( fibroids and polyps ) at the menopause and the whole thing lasted for about 7 years of hell.

They wanted to give me a hysterectomy, but again I just couldn't go into hospital due to agarophobia.. Full menopause sorted it all out thankvgoodness.

I also have ibsD
    I took spatone on a week on week off
    No iron tabs worked for me. All gave me D (usually constipates people!

I too was under weight. And I did eat a high sugar/fat diet for energy.
    Not healthy I know!

I also researched foods high in iron, which will always b absorbedc60℅ more readily than tabs.
    Check out iron rich foods on internet. There are plenty.
    Good luck

Thats good to know about the food, dally.

Your experience sounds extremely tough. Feeling bad from all that must have made your anxiety far worse and your panic attacks more likely. I know how my anxiety affects me when I'm hungry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information