Thread: TV Fear Of Flying

TV Fear Of Flying

TV Program, Fear Of Flying Channel 4
    2.25 Friday 16th. a.m. ..... oooops, sorry[8)], needs to be recorded I think? (5737177)

An attempt to help 40 people overcome the fear of flying.

thanks dave,
    i havent flown for nearly 3 years, i never really liked flying but i loved my hols abroad.
    Im really hoping that this year i can get on a plane again even if its only a short trip to visit our friends in scotland.

take care
    LYNN xx

Is this the Lawrence Leyton programme?

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

thanks for that dave

ive spent the past few evenings online searching for holidays - and I tend to put the dreaded flight on the back burner until the time comes - but I think I will watch this to see if it helps!!!!!

darkangel x

........life is for living not just for surviving

What perfect timing! [8D]

Thanks Dave......I bit the bullet and booked for Egypt at Easter only today!! I think I'll def need to watch this, as I'm starting to get the 'jitters' already!

Everyone on NMP helped me a lot last October, especially when I had the dreaded 'dark time' stuck in a plane with 'technical faults' just before leaving for Zante [xx(] !!

Cheers!

lotsa luv

GG [:P]

xxx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

Re: TV Fear Of Flying

Many people with PD/agoraphobia have problems with flying simply because it's a situation from which escape is impossible.

Many people with a fear of flying are afraid of:

* the airplane crashing
    * heights
    * cramped spaces
    * and of course, the newest thread, terrorists

People who suffer from one of the above phobias/fears can be helped with CBT that relates to the safety of plane travel and can be eased with information and putting the risks into perspective vis a vis other activities. There used to be and possibly still are programmes where people with fear of flying can talk to pilots and tour jetliners to get accustomed to the surroundings.

If I tell people I am afraid of flying, they jump to the conclusion that my chief fear is one or more of those listed above and start to try to tell me that it's relatively safe.

So I now tell people I hate flying and if I choose to give an answer I give an analogy about people getting stuck in lifts: they almost always are rescued safely, they are usually in no real harm -- but they are stuck in an enclosed space from which they can't escape. Most people believe they would be afraid and/or uncomfortable if they got stuck in a lift.

Agoraphobics have another issue to deal with: plane travel usually takes them pretty far from home. Many people who are afraid of flying aren't afraid of being far from home -- if they can drive or take a boat, they are fine during the trip and once they reach their destination; and if they do fly they are relieved once they disembark from the plane.

People with agoraphobia need additional "coaching" in order to deal with these added fears.

Re: TV Fear Of Flying

Sorry, I'm a bit mixed up about when the programme is on TV and which channel?
    It's funny about fear of flying because I'm not claustrophobic at all but I think there is a bit of me that maybe doesn't feel safe being away from home.It's different if my feet are on the ground, or could be on the ground, i.e: trains, cars and buses etc are all fine.You can't get off a plane and that scares me too! Beverley

Thread Information