Thread: Heart worries caused by virus and palpitations

Heart worries caused by virus and palpitations

ad quite a bad cold about 2 weeks ago,it lasted a week and now I am left with a cough. I noticed a couple days ago I have started with the odd heart flutter which panics me. I know there is a condition that can be fatal which is an enlarged heart as a result of a viral infection. symptoms are palpitations,tight chest,chest pain and having had a cold or flu. I don't have chest pain or tight chest but I am getting heart flutters and have had a cold. I think my symptoms have become works since thinking this but i can't be sure as now i am constantly worrying Im going to have a heart attack. I have been under a bit of stress the past week but not enough I didn't think for panic attacks. I feel so worried

Re: Heart worries caused by virus and palpitations

That is ridiculously rare.

Also LOADS of people report an increase in palpitations during/just after an infection. I remember a few years ago when I had a bad cold I would get skips/double beats/flutters every time I moved for 2 days, it was pretty bad. Back then I didn't even care though, if that happened now I'd probably run to A&E.

Good old anxiety.

This is true I have had a virus the last 2 weeks and sometimes had palpitations. It's normal during illness doesn't mean anything serious xx

Thank you for easing my mind. It's my birthday today I should just be enjoying the day instead of worrying about my heart and having some awful condition. I just get these episodes where it's beating fast for ages

I am now wondering if the palpitations could be caused by a chest infection? I still have a cough but its not a cough that brings up green mucus,its not particularly chesty but it can dislodge clear-ish fluid. I have a tight chest and get breathless quite easily the past 24 hours. Lat night I got about an hours sleep because of a pounding fast heart beat and acid reflux that has been persistent over the past week or so. I hate feeling like this,I still have moments where I worry I have that rare enlarged heart disease from having this cold virus because my dad was unfortunate enough to contract a rare brain condition from a virus which took his life. Then I have seen two people closely linked to me but not related die from heart attacks though both those people did not lead healthy lives. I over think I know but then there is always this niggling thought of what if and now I am presenting some symptoms it does worry me.

Hi Nya, you need to put your mind at ease and visit your doctor otherwise you'll keep on worrying, probably unnecessarily. Sound to me like anxiety is causing your problems.

Thread Information