Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting at very reduced dose

Starting at very reduced dose

Okay, So I've been on Sertraline 75mg for about 3.5 months. It's really not doing much for me, so my plan is to switch to Prozac. My Dr. gave me a prescription for Prozac as well as Buspirone. I'm supposed to take half sertraline/half Prozac and 7.5mg of Buspirone three times a day.

After experiencing the horrendous start-up side effects from Sertraline, I'm gonna hold off on starting the Prozac and give Buspirone a try. However, I'm cutting my 7.5mg dose into quarters and I will be taking that 3X per day just to see how it affects me. So I guess that will make it roughly 1.88mg lol. I'm just really paranoid about the dizziness some experience starting, and I would like to avoid that if at all possible.

It really helps me to keep a journal so that is what I am doing here.

Any advice/feedback/reassurance or whatnot is appreciated.

Re: Starting at very reduced dose

Well, today I'm taking three half tablets, so my total for today will be half of the recommended daily dose. All I've really felt is some grogginess, which I was expecting. No dizziness, which is nice, for sure. I think tomorrow, I'll increase a little more.

Thats a new switching routine!

This is what ours are supposed to do overhere:

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepa...?ID=1651179592

Our GP's can be a bit all over the place with these meds based on their limited experience so various strategies seemed to get used as opposed to what they are told to do.

Buspirone seems to be one that you may need to be on for a few weeks to feel the benefit so I guess you will have to play it by ear. I agree with you about getting that in place first so that it helps you with the switch but you know what doctors are like, they've never felt all the side effects so can be a bit casual about prescribing.

Thanks, MyNameIsTerry! That's much better advice than my Dr. gave me. My gut told me it should be a more gradual transition than just five days between antidepressants.

Today I'm going to take 3/4 of a tablet three times a day and see how it goes. I'm feeling a bit anxious this morning, not sure if it's the meds or just normal anxiety. It's a bit hard to tell at this point.

The advice our doctors have is that the transition between short half life drugs of the same class should be easier but you know what it's like and how we are all different so there really never is one solution to that problem. There are some ones that require washout periods due to long half lives (e.g. going from Fluoxetine/Prozac to a short half life drug) and I think the older meds too but going from SSRI to SSRI (except Prozac) can be done without washout as they use the circulating old SSRI to bump up the lower dose you start on of the new one.

They are the same drug class so you may get lucky. I could see Prozac taking a bit longer to kick in with it being a longer half life drug though. Regardless, I think your strategy with the Buspirone is a good one.

I don't think Buspirone has anxiety as a side effect although it may have some of the symptoms? Perhaps worth checking on that. Otherwise it could just be the usual worries we have about med changes.

Yes, I think it's probably just anxiety from starting a different med. Worrrying about possible side effects, worrying that it won't work etc...

Thanks for the input, MyNameIsTerry, I really appreciate it.

Well, I've been taking 3/4 of a dose today (Day 3), so I guess that's around 5.6mg three times today. I think I'll stay here for at least another day before I go up to the full 7.5mg dose.

I started off with a bad, very anxious morning. I had to take a Xanax because I was feeling so bad. The rest of the day was fine. I have noticed that I've been waking a bit sweaty in the mornings. Nothing like when I started Sertraline, but it's definitely noticeable. Maybe it's the buspar???

I have read that nervousness and excitement are possible side effects, so maybe it's causing a slight increase in my overall anxiety level.

Well, I had a bit of a rough start this morning, but the rest of the day was okay. I took 3/4 again for day 4. I may up it to the full 7.5 dose tomorrow.

I really don't notice any side effects that I can be 100% are from the buspar. I'm a little sweaty in the mornings, and I've had some extra weird vivid dreams, but that's about it. I'm generally anxious, but that is really nothing new. No nausea or dizziness like I've heard others describe in reviews across the internet.

I really hope this med does SOMETHING for me. I know a lot of people claim it does NOTHING for them, so I'll just have to wait and see.

Day 5. Well today was a pretty decent day. I've definitely been sweatier/more hot flashy which I'm going to guess is due to the buspirone. The extra vivid dreams are there every morning, too. I think tomorrow I will take the full 7.5mg dose that I was prescribed.

Day 6. Taking the full 7.5mg three times a day now. I was very anxious this morning, but that's really nothing new. I think I'm just in for the long wait now to see if this does anything at all benefitial for me. My pharmacist said it would take one to two weeks to see results, but I've read online than it is more like three to four. Whatever. If my days seem pretty much the same, I'll probably not post since I feel like I'm rambling on and on sometimes.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information