Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flu and Pneumonia Vaccines

Unhappy Flu and Pneumonia Vaccines

Hello Everyone

I developed viral pneumonia back in 2011 and I was ill for quite a while. When this happened I was also diagnosed with asthma (I had previously had childhood asthma)
    So being asthmatic, I was offered the flu jab each year.

I’ve had 3 up to now. Each one has been met with the same anxiety and apprehension but apart from a sore arm, I’ve generally been okay after them (although a horrible chest infection has usually followed a short time after).

Yesterday was D-Day, or flu-day, but this time round I had to get the pneumonia jab too. I saw a respiratory physician back in September who did lots of lung function tests and blood tests to find out the underlying cause of my recurrent chest infections.

All my bloods came back normal except for having low immunity to the pneumococcal bug – which would explain why everytime I get a cold it goes straight into my chest! So he said I would have to get this jab and have another blood test in 6 weeks to check my immunity again.

The prospect of having to cope with one jab is enough on its own…but two?! It’s not the needle, it’s the fear of a reaction or it making me severely ill.

It’s been around 20 hours now since I had them both and I can’t even begin to tell you how shocking I feel. I have a temperature, I can’t keep my eyes open, I have no appetite and my throat is so sore! Plus the expecting arm aching now in both arms.

I have always been under the impression that as the vaccines are not live viruses, I should not be experiencing the virus-like symptoms that I am doing!

I just want to curl up into a ball and go to sleep! I feel so lethargic and drained.

I know that if I google I’m going to find myself on webpage full of people talking about all kinds of horrific side effects so I’m trying my best to just ignore it. I’ve taken two paracetamol and I’m hoping they’ll kick in soon!

Does anyone else have to get these vaccines every year?!

Re: Flu and Pneumonia Vaccines

My sympathies, i hate the flu! But you don't have to get them you know they are optional, i personally would never get one but my ex gets the flu jab every year as his doctor tells him to as he has diabetes, im always trying to talk him out of it and send him info on other ways to protect against viruses etc but he got it again and had the flu really bad for a week but i know loads of people who get it and don't get the flu.

It sounds like you unfortunately have got it, all the symptoms you have are normal, just your body fighting the virus so its raised its temperature. Take plenty of vitamin c, there is a great remedy too called gelsemium its sa homeopathy remedy and specifically for flu symptoms, also just take it easy, stay in bed watch some movies, you will prob feel a bit better by morning and a lot better in a few days. A great remedy for sore throat to stop it in its track is a quarter teaspoon of vitamincayanne pepper in a hot herbal tea like lemon and ginger it really boosts the immune system, hope you feel much better soon

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

[QUOTE=firecat;1488537]My sympathies, i hate the flu! But you don't have to get them you know they are optional, i personally would never get one but my ex gets the flu jab every year as his doctor tells him to as he has diabetes, im always trying to talk him out of it and send him info on other ways to protect against viruses etc but he got it again and had the flu really bad for a week but i know loads of people who get it and don't get the flu.

It sounds like you unfortunately have got it, all the symptoms you have are normal, just your body fighting the virus so its raised its temperature. Take plenty of vitamin c, there is a great remedy too called gelsemium its sa homeopathy remedy and specifically for flu symptoms, also just take it easy, stay in bed watch some movies, you will prob feel a bit better by morning and a lot better in a few days. A great remedy for sore throat to stop it in its track is a quarter teaspoon of vitamincayanne pepper in a hot herbal tea like lemon and ginger it really boosts the immune system, hope you feel much better soon

I try to get the flu jab every year being in healthcare. It's inactivated as far as I know. I never get a reaction to seasonal flu jab but swine flu vaccine gave me a dead arm!
    I quite like injections. I'm a bit weird like that. I'm very pro-vax I must admit! Belt n braces!

They do say that experiencing these symptoms from the flu jab is a myth but I've had about 3 of them myself (I have asthma) and I've had the flu like symptoms for a day or two but not each year. I know other people who have felt the same but it's always a very brief and reduced intensity.

I don't know about the other one. I've had pneumonia many years ago and this had never been mentioned to me.

Plenty of Vitamin C as said already and fluids. I used to get a chest infection every single time I had a cold when I was younger and ended up needing steroids as antibiotics wouldn't be enough. However, this has changed and I've only had this a couple of times in probably 15 years now. I even had one earlier this year but doubled up my vitamin C which resolved it.

I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure you can get flu-like symptoms after the jab because your immune system is essentially learning how to fight off the pathogen.

Whenever we get sick, the symptoms (by and large) are actually caused by the immune response, not the illness itself, if that makes sense- this is especially true of fever etc. Feel better soon.

You can get symptoms similar to the flu after the shot but they are not as severe. When you have the flu you are knocked off your feet for at least a week. But it's normal to sometimes have aches, runny nose, slight temp after a vaccine. It's also possible you have a bug unrelated to the shots. I've gotten flu shots for years and years and each year my reaction is a little different.

I have to get the flu jab due to my medical history (heart disease and cancer). I get a bit on the "blah" side for a few days and have a sore arm but it's WAY better than having the flu!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Emilym80 View Post
    I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure you can get flu-like symptoms after the jab because your immune system is essentially learning how to fight off the pathogen.

Whenever we get sick, the symptoms (by and large) are actually caused by the immune response, not the illness itself, if that makes sense- this is especially true of fever etc. Feel better soon.
    According to NHS Choices thats correct:

Serious side effects of the injected flu vaccine are very rare. You may have a slight temperature and aching muscles for a couple of days after having the jab, and your arm may be a bit sore where you were injected.

Yet my GP and the practice nurses tell everyone it's not thw case!

I've experiencing it myself as well as been told by many others so I believe it to be the case and agree with you. I guess it's just another case of surgeries not getting their facts straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilym80 View Post

Basically this.

Because of age I get the flu jab every year but the nurse will tell you that it will not be affective against all strains or viruss of flu. Last winter was a good example in the UK as generally speaking the jab wasn't affective.I get a slightly stiff arm for a few days after,but nothing terrible.

I don't know how old the OP is but the pneumonia jab is a one off in a lifetime jab and has saved many a life of older people especially.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information